Are these peck marks?

LikeTurkeys

Crowing
5 Years
Jul 25, 2018
Southern California
My 1 1/2 year old hen has developed bumps on her comb. They seem to be swollen, kind or raised. At first they started out white, but then they turned black (in the middle mostly). Are these peck marks or something else? She's the top hen, so I'd be surprised if anyone is bullying her.

Also, she was limping a few days back, seems okay now, don't know if it is related. I don't know if this is the right forum either, it's not exactly an emergency...
Thanks!
IMG_3074.JPG

That is fowl pox. I had a rooster with it once. I know it can spread to the other chickens, but once they are exposed it's too late to separate. At least that's what I was told. So your chicken's case doesn't look too bad. My rooster had about 5 or 6 spots, and although it looked bad for a few weeks, it went away on its own and the hens never caught it. Here is a helpful article about it:
http://hoeggerfarmyard.com/how-to-easily-diagnose-and-treat-fowl-pox/

Edited to add: I did add electrolytes to his water, but that's really all I did.

There are 2 types of fowl pox. Internal, and external. The bird can have one, or in some cases both. There is no cure for either, but external pox can be treated with antibiotics added to the water to prevent secondary infections (which is what the biggest risk is). Internal Pox are lesions that form inside the mouth, airway, and lungs and is almost always fatal. It is recommended to separate the infected bird from the rest and not cross contaminate with bedding, waterer, food, etc. Even going so far as not wearing the same shoes from one pen to the other and disposing of the infected birds bedding, etc in plastic bags because the virus can last for weeks or months in the soil. The disease is usually spread via mosquitoes.

There are 2 types of fowl pox. Internal, and external. The bird can have one, or in some cases both. There is no cure for either, but external pox can be treated with antibiotics added to the water to prevent secondary infections (which is what the biggest risk is). Internal Pox are lesions that form inside the mouth, airway, and lungs and is almost always fatal. It is recommended to separate the infected bird from the rest and not cross contaminate with bedding, waterer, food, etc. Even going so far as not wearing the same shoes from one pen to the other and disposing of the infected birds bedding, etc in plastic bags because the virus can last for weeks or months in the soil. The disease is usually spread via mosquitoes.
Wow. I must have been really lucky. :eek:

Okay, thank you. It looks like she has external pox. So, separate for a few weeks to prevent cross contamination? (or does it not matter because they've already been exposed?) I'm going to wipe some triple-antibiotic on the sores.
I didn't separate my rooster, who never stopped being active with my hens, and never had another hen with fowl pox. But, now after what Hobbits Mama said, I would probably do it differently and separate him. I think I was just lucky.

Back
Top Bottom