Are these photos of an impacted crop?

madimorg

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 26, 2010
Central Ohio
Ugh, we’ve had a rough week here and then tonight I found this hen of mine with what I think is an impacted crop. But before we even attempt a surgery I wanted to show photos of her just to verify that this is what I’m seeing. We’d actually had some issues with respiratory infections and were dosing Tylan; that worked great. Then tonight we went back out to check on everyone and when we picked this girl up we felt this large “growth” on her chest. I hope you’ll be able to tell from the photos how large this is.

55555_img_8245.jpg

55555_img_8246.jpg

55555_img_8248.jpg

What you need to do, is check her at roost time, and feel it, and remember the fullness of it , THEN feel it first thing in the morning BEFORE she eats, and see if it has gone down, or emptied..

Does she have sour breath ?
Is she pooping ? ( color and concistancy, please, be graphic)
eating and drinking ?

If it has not gone down in the morning, then she has a problem... but first do the check...

There are several common crop problems , pendulous crop, sour crop, and impacted...

We'll see...

I think the big question is what did you feed her about an hour or so before the photo. Sometimes certain little piggy's or the top hen's will gourge themselfs as part of the pecking order to show dominance. If you are over treating ( giving excess treats ) like corn this will happen, it isn't unusual to see a hens crop that big after a good go at some whole corn.

AL

I agree ..

I have a 4 year year old buff orpington, and after she eats, when she runs she looks like someone stuffed a pear in there , and it swings back and forth. LOL

Yes little piggies... I have a few of them...

the main thing is if it empties !!( and not water baloonish when feeling it gently...(full of liquid)

I would seperate her totaly, give her plenty of water and maybe something for grit and watch her if it goes down great. then lay off the treats, or next time you may not be so lucky.

AL

Last edited:
Quote:
Actually they only had "flock raiser" chicken feed out (it's left available at all times). Yesterday was one of those days with no scraps and no treats.

Just check her this morning. They will often do that when they run out of food for a bit in addition to the other reasons people gave, mainly special treats or sometimes they are just pigs. If it is still huge, get back with us.

Grit will not help an impacted crop. Grit does not come into play until the food gets to the gizzard. Grit will help prevent an impacted gizzard. There is a difference and that is not due to an impacted gizzard.

Back
Top Bottom