Are these pullets?

jbreeden00

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 2, 2014
My buffs were sexed but my other two breeds were from straight runs. I think both of my welsummers are pullets, but unsure how to tell with the americanas. I tried doing the wing length thing but they were four days by the time i figured out that method, so i was unsure if I was looking at them right.

Hi jbreeden00 and
welcome-byc.gif

Love Welsummers! I think that the one on the right is a boy. Notice that he is a bit more washed-out (especially apparent in the "V" on his head) than the one on the left and that his eye-liner is fairly pale.

As for the other two--you are calling them Americanas--which makes me suspicious that they are from a hatchery as the correct spelling is Ameraucana and many hatcheries really sell what we affectionately term Easter Eggers. I have one myself and they are wonderful birds, but do not match the Standard of Perfection for true Ameraucanas. Your chicks do not have obviously willow legs so they may not be hatchery. The reason I ask is that it is really hard to sex little ones in most cases and it is further muddied if they are not a purebred as the combs may be off from the expected pea comb. A close-up straight on head shot showing the comb would be the best tell on these two but most likely you will need to wait a month or two.So more details about them would be great!

Last edited:
I was suspecting my one welsummer was a rooster. I want them just for eggs, so that really sucks. Though that means I get to go chick shopping again, which doesn't suck. I did get these from a heartland hatchery, at the nixa hardware chick day. I just couldn't remember how to spell it, when I wrote the thread. Thank you for your input. I will try to get better pictures of the ameraucanas, they are so squirmy.

These are both my ameraucanas. First 3 are one, and the last two are the second chick.

Everything is too young to sex. And you don't have ameraucanas, they both are easter eggers. Should be able to sex them around 6-8 weeks, if you are lucky maybe a little sooner

Everything is too young to sex. And you don't have ameraucanas, they both are easter eggers. Should be able to sex them around 6-8 weeks, if you are lucky maybe a little sooner

X2

EEs are often easy to sex from color pattern as soon as they get true feathers. Look for patches of red on the shoulders and/or patchy color vs. one all-over pattern on the rest of the bird. Red on the shoulders or a patchwork feather pattern = male. One all-over (except for the head) color pattern = female.

Back
Top Bottom