1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are these really welsh harlequin ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by The Raw Mama, May 14, 2015.

1. The Raw Mama

The Raw Mama Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    I had a friend of the family drop off 3 welsh harlequin day old ducklings he came across at a sale, knowing I wanted this breed for our homestead. Their bills were dark so I assumed 3 males. One has since died from a leg injury but the other two are very healthy. Seeing as they came from a sale I wasn't at, I am second guessing their looks. They are SO much darker than any welsh harlequin ducklings I've ever seen. I know they change so much so fast but they just seem too dark... am I just paranoid?
    This is them the day I got them
    [​IMG]
    This is them after a couple weeks
    [​IMG]
    This is them now
    [​IMG]

2. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    I don't think those are Welsh Harlequins. I'm new to ducks, but I've been doing a lot of research on breeds trying to figure out what the 4 I picked up at the feed store are, and none of the Harlequin ducklings I've seen had black tails like that. Maybe they are Silver Appleyards or some kind of cross? http://www.holderreadfarm.com/photogallery/appleyard_page/appleyard_page.htm

3. Sfraker

Sfraker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2014
    Western NC
  4. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    no probably not wh, but wh mixes though

5. suzy4027

suzy4027 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2015
    Hutchinson KS
    There's a particular breed that has a stripe on its head as a duckling. Of course, the name of it escapes me. [​IMG] Not very helpful I know. They deff aren't full WH, but some of the prettiest ducks I've seen are mixes! See what results you get from searching the general duck thread for duckling pics. There's a thread started already. I think. Again, tons of help, I know....

6. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Apple yards tend to look like welsh harlequin but have the head strip. Or at least it looks like that to me.

I think they are mixes. They are too dark and their feet are really dark to begin with. You can look through my pics and see my WH girl when she was little.

7. The Raw Mama

May 13, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    I agree with everyone here...they look like Silver Appleyards. I had no ide how to go about trying to math breed to my ducklings without help so thank you. I can't say that I am disappointed that they aren't Welsh Harlequins because the Appleyards are just as beautiful and still friendly and good egg layers. I know the WH's are drakes as day olds if they have dark beaks. Now that I know they are not WH, I am excited to see if I could have females. They are still just peeping and aren't quite 8 weeks so hopefully their voices start changing soon and maybe give it away. [​IMG]

8. The Raw Mama

May 13, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Just an update...I'm still completely confused about breed with these ducks. They are now 4 months old and about a month ago started resembling a Khaki Cambell.
    [​IMG]
    Now they have a blue wing tip and I'm even more confused!
    [​IMG]
    They look like Rouen's now to me yet they didn't look like a Rouen as ducklings. They looked like Silver Appleyards as ducklings and now they don't. In between, they looked like Khaki Cambell's. WHAT ARE THEY?!!! Please help!

9. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I think you have a mixed breed. And I think they are lovely!

10. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    I agree that they are mixed. Super cute either way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by