Are these RIR's?

teapot10

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 15, 2010
Eastern Oregon
The man at the feed store said he was pretty sure they were but wasn't sure of the sex...I'm guessing it's too early to tell the sex but I'd at least like to know that they are RIR's for sure.
smile.png

P1010821.jpg

P1010814.jpg

P1010816.jpg

There either R.I. Reds or Production Red but if I had to choose right know I would say Production Reds with them being that light color in the wing..

Quote:
Do you care to explain this a little better... I have had R.I. Reds (Reds) for quite some time now and there is no way to sex Reds by there wings...

Chris

Quote:
Do you care to explain this a little better... I have had R.I. Reds (Reds) for quite some time now and there is no way to sex Reds by there wings...

Chris

Agreed. I've been raising Reds for 25 years & if there's a way to sex them from their juvenile wing feathering it's escaped me.

I just feather sexed- Yes, it still works when they are this age. The males just have typically "shorter" wings when they are closed. A female chick's wing will reach all the way to her tail, possibly further behind it. A male's wing will remain to look shorter until he is fully feathered out.

Back
Top Bottom