Are these roosters or hens

Cmames16

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2023
Are these roosters or hens? I bought them as pullets and the breeder told me hens, but they are almost the size of my rooster. And sometimes they make me question it. I don’t notice spurs but they almost seem too pretty to be hens? (I feel like roosters always get the pretty gene)
IMG_1855.jpeg
IMG_1854.jpeg

Both are 100% boys. I'm surprised you haven't caught them crowing yet.

How old were they when you bought them? I think the seller may have known they were boys and lied to get them off their hands.

Both are 100% boys. I'm surprised you haven't caught them crowing yet.

How old were they when you bought them? I think the seller may have known they were boys and lied to get them off their hands.
ugh yea I’ve been suspicious for a while but hadn’t heard anyone crow so thought maybe I was just overreacting. I got them at 12+ weeks so she should have been able to tell but I’m new to chicken keeping so I can’t tell as easily. I really thought it today because I saw them dancing and puffing up their necks like my definite crowing rooster does, but he hasn’t fought them yet so I thought I’d better get confirmation before they start. I’m just pretty pissed I asked for hens and they slipped me 2 roosters.

At 12+ weeks, it's almost always evident who's a cockerel and who's a pullet. It is very likely the breeder gave you their culls intentionally
Yea I think they took my naiveness to keeping chickens as the perfect victim. Really upsetting. I can’t even keep them because I already had one roo.

Back
Top Bottom