Are these true Ameraucanas?

LT

Songster
8 Years
Aug 21, 2011
West Fork
I purchased my chicks in the spring from a local farmer who was placing a large order from a hatchery (not sure which one). The hatchery offered "rare breeds" including Ameraucanas and Cuckoo Marans. I ordered three Ameraucanas because I wanted a range of color eggs from my chickens. After exploring this site, I am not sure if these are true Ameraucanas or if they are Easter Eggers. I would appreciate any opinions on this lovely girl. Her name is Beulah and she is 21 weeks old. She hasn't started laying yet, but my fingers are crossed she will be laying soon.
stellad.th.jpg

[/img]

Beulah is a GORGEOUS Easter Egger pullet. She's not an Ameraucana, but so what? Easter Eggers are wonderful! She'll probably lay blue, or blue/green ,or green eggs, and her plummage is stunning---far prettier than a standard color Ameraucana, in my opinion. What hatchery did she come from?

Thanks! I was beginning to think they were Easter Eggers. They are all gorgeous, and as long as I get some nice little colored eggs, I will be happy as can be.

Now I am beginning to wonder if my Cuckoo Marans are really Cuckoo Marans!?! I guess I will have to wait until they start laying and see the egg color.

Quote:
Thank you! I think she is quite stunning too! I can't remember the name of the hatchery, but we live in NW Arkansas, and I am fairly certain the hatchery was in southern Missouri.

Last edited:
Quote:
If they are cuckoo, and have pink legs, they are Cuckoo Marans. But I hate to tell you, their egg color will not be impressive - at least, not as impressive as you would hope for. My hatchery Marans laid an egg barely darker than a Australorp egg.

Quote:
If they are cuckoo, and have pink legs, they are Cuckoo Marans. But I hate to tell you, their egg color will not be impressive - at least, not as impressive as you would hope for. My hatchery Marans laid an egg barely darker than a Australorp egg.

Interesting. One of them has yellow legs and the other one has grayish legs. What other breed would they be?

Back
Top Bottom