Are these true Serama's?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Billyj, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Billyj

Billyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    Gaffney SC
    Ok I just want to make sure these are Serama's. I know some are boys, but are they what I hope they are.

I am thinking about buying them and want to make sure.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for any input.

2. ruthless

ruthless Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Mount Vernon, Mo
    I see a lot of white ear lobes and the wings are not very vertical like they should be. May be mixes, see what others have to say.

3. Larkspur88

Larkspur88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    They're pretty. I know that much. Lol

4. The Turken Lady

The Turken Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

They are purebred seramas,but if you plan to show them,think again. They don't have the right stance and only the white is accepted. Other than that,they look like cute and nice birds though. [​IMG]

You can't really tell here,but this serama had a very nice stance-

[​IMG]

5. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Wow what stunning colors!!!

Are there any books that you would suggest that are great to learn how to properly show, how to show, and what to look for in a show bird?

6. Billyj

Billyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    Gaffney SC
    Is the stance something that comes naturally? If I get these, what would the chances of the offspring being better standers. (for lack of better words). Would it be possible to "train" the birds to stand properly?

Now by saying that, I am not planning on showing them, but you never know.

Thanks.

7. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Those are very pretty birds! Seramas are a hard breed to judge, especially here in America. In Asia, where they originated, any color is accepted. This is also mostly true in the British Standard as well.

In America, I believe only one standard is being developed in the white category. The white Serama must have red earlobes and white plumage. I do not believe that any other standard has made any headway yet, but I have seen proposed standards that allow for multiple earlobe colorations. Its the very fact that Seramas have such varied coloration that makes them difficult to standardize.

I admit that I don't have a trained eye for Seramas specifically, but those birds look very nice, and a good place to start breeding. I see correct wing carraige, and close to a correct stance and size. The smaller the better with this breed.

There is a nice page on this breed here at BYC that you should check out:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/breeds/serama/23256

Hope that helps!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by