What breeds are these? Silkie/serama and ??

Alilinn

In the Brooder
Jul 18, 2023
I got a ‘grab bag’ of “silkies” 8 weeks ago. These two are stumping me. The gray is most likely a serama mix. I’m just not sure what she’s mixed with? And the second one is definitely silkie but with something else, the top poof on her head and the smooth feathers throw me off.

Attachments

• IMG_4800.jpeg
    IMG_4800.jpeg
    819.8 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_4794.jpeg
    IMG_4794.jpeg
    770.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4723.jpeg
    IMG_4723.jpeg
    399.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4722.jpeg
    IMG_4722.jpeg
    444 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4722.jpeg
    IMG_4722.jpeg
    444 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
I wouldn’t necessarily think the top birdis a serama mix (not saying it can’t be :) ) but could be anything mixed with that bird. Could be old English game or it could just a mixture of different bantams in one bred to a Silkie.
Out curiosity why did you think that bird has Serama in it?

I’d guess the second one is Silkie Cochin mix
Where did you get them from?

I got a ‘grab bag’ of “silkies” 8 weeks ago. These two are stumping me. The gray is obviously a serama mix. I’m just not sure what she’s mixed with? And the second one is definite silkie but with something else, the top poof on her head and the smooth feathers throw me off.
The blue one could be a Serama/Silkie/other mix, Japanese/Silkie/other mix, Old English Game Bantam/Silkie/other mix, or any other breed that looks similar; Seramas are not the only bantam breed with downward-pointing wings and that overall body shape.

The black one is most likely a Cochin/Silkie hybrid, but we need to see it in a natural position, rather than in your hand.

I wouldn’t necessarily think the top birdis a serama mix (not saying it can’t be :) ) but could be anything mixed with that bird. Could be old English game or it could just a mixture of different bantams in one bred to a Silkie.
Out curiosity why did you think that bird has Serama in it?

I’d guess the second one is Silkie Cochin mix
Where did you get them from?
I only thought serama because I know the breeder had those too. And with the tail that stands up and the downward wings?
I got them from a local breeder here in Oregon. She has a verity of different small birds. I actually love when I get weird mixes from her!

Back
Top Bottom