Sultan x Mille Fleur d’Uccle?

TinyRaptorDodos

Crowing
May 23, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
So, I just posted her a bit ago- but it got confusing so this is my current thoughts on her

So this is Dutch, she was traded to me because she’s a frequently broody hen and I’ve been wanting a brooder hen. She’s about 7/8 inches tall (the rooster she’s with is 10inches tall) she’s definitely part Mille fleur d’Uccle but what else? I’m thinking sultan because she has a straight single comb(from what I remember, the sultan double comb isn’t dominant so it would make sense it doesn’t show on her), white earlobes, pale skin, extra toes and a crest. I did think silkie until I thought more about the comb and skin color. We think she’s 3-5 years old. Definitely at least 2.
Thoughts? Is that what she is? Is there more in her that anyone can spot?

Attachments

• IMG_2963.jpeg
    IMG_2963.jpeg
    569.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2962.jpeg
    IMG_2962.jpeg
    458.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2959.jpeg
    IMG_2959.jpeg
    433.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2960.jpeg
    IMG_2960.jpeg
    559.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2957.jpeg
    IMG_2957.jpeg
    523.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2954.jpeg
    IMG_2954.jpeg
    808.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2971.jpeg
    IMG_2971.jpeg
    592.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2943.jpeg
    IMG_2943.jpeg
    741.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2961.jpeg
    IMG_2961.jpeg
    414.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2967.jpeg
    IMG_2967.jpeg
    532.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2923.jpeg
    IMG_2923.jpeg
    340 KB · Views: 7
So this is Dutch, she was traded to me because she’s a frequently broody hen and I’ve been wanting a brooder hen. She’s about 7/8 inches tall (the rooster she’s with is 10inches tall) she’s definitely part Mille fleur d’Uccle but what else? I’m thinking sultan because she has a straight single comb(from what I remember, the sultan double comb isn’t dominant so it would make sense it doesn’t show on her), white earlobes, pale skin, extra toes and a crest. I did think silkie until I thought more about the comb and skin color. We think she’s 3-5 years old. Definitely at least 2.
Thoughts? Is that what she is? Is there more in her that anyone can spot?
I think she probably is a Silkie-mix, not a Sultan-mix, but I can't be positive either way.

The Sultan double comb should cause an effect in half-Sultan chicks (I've seen pictures of combs that are single at the front and split at the back, among other things.) On the other hand, the usual Silkie comb type should also be dominant and show in the chicks, but I have seen photos of hatchery-quality Silkies with single combs. If she is descended from a single comb "Silkie," or one that carries the genes for single comb, that would easily explain her single comb.

Regarding the skin color, a hen inherits light or dark skin from her father. So if her father has light skin, her mother could have any color of skin (including black like a Silkie.)

As regards feather color, I do not think a half-Sultan chicken could be the color she is. I would expect either white or black, not a bunch of gold.

If we assume only Sultans and Silkies that are pure for the genes they are supposed to have, I would say she has one grandparent that is a Silkie or a Sultan, plus a fair bit of Mille Fleur d'Uccle. So she could be 3/4 Mille Fleur d'Uccle, or she could have two parents that are each 50% Silkie or Sultan and 50% Mille Fleur d'Uccle. Crossing two of them would give some chicks like her, and others that look more like the other breeds in the mix.

Again, I can't tell for sure. And there could easily be other things in the mix. Maybe someone crossed a Silkie or a Sultan with an Old English Game Bantam or a Mille Fleur d'Uccle with an Easter Egger bantam, and then used such birds in further crosses. Depending on what colors of Silkie, OEGB, and Easter Egger, a 4-way cross like that could easily produce some chicks with her traits.

I've seen some hens with almost exactly that coloring, that were a mix of Easter Egger bantams and Mille Fleur Old English Game bantam and a few other colors of Old English Game bantam. Things had been mixed and matched for enough generations that some laid brown or cream eggs while others laid blue or green, and some had single combs while others had pea combs. The mixes I saw did not have extra toes, feathered feet, crest, or muff/beard, because they had no Silkie or Sultan or d'Uccle involved, but the coloring and the single comb were very similar.

Back
Top Bottom