Are these types of ivy poisonous?

Thanks for all the help guys! I did think that if the chooks didn't eat it then they might at least eventually eradicate the ivy by all of their scratching and foraging in it.

That's my back up plan at least...
hide.gif
lol.png

Quote:
Key word, were, right Kathy? I'm in the same boat... stupid chickens...
rant.gif

(Just kidding... I loooooooooooooooooove them, no matter what!
big_smile.png
)

ETA:

Quote:
I don't think either of it is poison ivy, do you?

Last edited:
It is not poison ivy. The top one is english ivy, the other I am not sure on. I would be surprised if you chickens ever manage to kill that stuff. It is one of the worst invasive plants I know, I hate it. Almost impossible to kill.

If you are wanting to kill the ivy. I have had great success with round-up, 2 applications about a week apart, on a sunny day.

Imp

Thanks Imp! That's what most websites have said when I was looking for a way to rid the yard of it.

The only problem is that it's EVERYWHERE. I'm gonna have to take out stock from the Round Up company...

Quote:
Don't buy roundup. Go to the garden/hardware store get something that's 41% Glyphospate. It's the same thing. Dilute to 2 1/2 oz in 1 gallon water. (OK I really use about 4 oz) A quart will cost about $20. If you are lucky you will find it for $10. It comes in several different names. Right now I'm using Killz-all, used to buy compleet 41. Depends on the store and what brands they carry.

Imp

DO NOT use roundup or any other chemicals in your yard. People are always wanting the easiest way to get something done. But you expose yourselves, your children, myself, my children, your chickens, the watershed, your drinking water, my drinking water, etc. Anyone that tells you that using roundup is safe is a fool.
There are these things called 'hands' that people used in the good old days to pull weeds. And in case you haven't noticed, there were no cases of ADHD, ADD, asthma at unbelievable levels, etc., back in the good old days. People think chemical creations are technological advances, but in reality, they are a source of many sociological ills.

In case anyone doubts me, go read about Agent Orange, one of the most infamous herbicides of all time. Even our govt told the military it's use was safe. Well by golly, it turned out to be worse than death for many people. Oh, and who manufactured all this Agent Orange? Good old Monsanto, manufacturers of Round Up...

Back
Top Bottom