Are They Alive?

team edward

Songster
9 Years
Jul 11, 2010
Amarillo Area
I had six blue andalusion\\ silver spangeled hamburg eggs in the incubator. On day 19, two eggs started moving around, and one hatched the next day. Today is day 24 and the other eggs still haven't hatched and I haven't seen them moving. Did they die?

I candeled them and two looked full and dark, but I couldnt feel them moving on the inside
hmm.png

When mine get a few days late, I open the very top of the egg and look for movement. If it's still moving, put it back in the incubator. Just keep the humidity up and it won't dry out.

I do the float test to end the hatch after day 23

put warm water in a bowl. 99.5 and deep enough that the egg doesn't touch the bottom.

carefully put the egg in the water, if it stops moving after a short time it is dead.
If it continues to move, in a rocking motion that is the heart beating.
Put it back in bator for another day

No, the big end, into the air cell; the chick will be down in the little end. You should see movement, or even the beak if it's pipped internally. If you're unsure, you can even touch the inner membrane and feel for movement. Just be careful not to break the membrane covering the chick.

If you have any questions, I just had to do one of mine. I can post pics if need be.

Last edited:
I have a question: You have to poke a hole in the egg to do the float test? I would very much like to see the pics you have! It is day 20 for me, just waiting......

You do not puncture the shell for the float test, just put them in there whole. Sorry I no longer have that egg, that batch of eggs have hatched and I have another set in the hatcher now.

Back
Top Bottom