Are They Black Sexlinks?

This is Sky. One of the Iowa blues she has small wings compared to Dawn shown below. I will have to try and get some more pics of them. The BA is now about 2 months old so in the really ugly stage lol.

Little buggers seem to be pretty calm given what little I know of the breed.
With the coloring I do not think a pheasant was involved but it would be cool to have a chicken with pheasant coloring.
Aw! Yeah, I think that some chicks can look like pheasants, but I'm not sure. My book must be old.

No, I was just illustrating that you can get a bird who looks like a black sex link but is not. Mine was only one example since I know the genetics of these. If they came from a hatchery, via a farm store, labeled as a black sex link, they probably are. If their origin is unknown (and I know some farm stores get local stock, though I'd never buy from those), then they could be a number of things other than an actual black sex link.

Oh, all right. Thanks! I never was for sure if they were black sex-links, anyhow.

Something else to think about with 'black' sex links......

Hatchery Black Sex Links are usually Rhode Island Red roosters over Barred Rock hens. They tell the buyer this in their description of the 'breed'.

However, 'black sex links can be made from other crosses.

I cross my Araucana rooster with BR hens, I get 'black sex links' that look like Araucanas, with pea combs that lay green eggs.

I breed the same rooster to Cuckoo Marans hens and get 'black sex links' that look like Araucanas, have pea combs and lay olive colored eggs. They can also be called olive eggers.

The same results will happen with barred Leghorns, barred Holland and California Greys.

Hatchery Black Sex Links are usually Rhode Island Red roosters over Barred Rock hens. They tell the buyer this in their description of the 'breed'.

I cross my Araucana rooster with BR hens, I get 'black sex links' that look like Araucanas, with pea combs that lay green eggs.

I breed the same rooster to Cuckoo Marans hens and get 'black sex links' that look like Araucanas, have pea combs and lay olive colored eggs. They can also be called olive eggers.

The same results will happen with barred Leghorns, barred Holland and California Greys.

enola is completely correct. Sex links in general can be made from all sorts of breeds. I had some from Silver Phoenix over Br hens, EE over BR hens, etc. And it can be any barred hen who passes on her barring gene only to her sons.

Interesting! I think I read that somewhere. Just wondering, do you have any idea what mine could be a hybrid of?

Back
Top Bottom