Are they feathered enough to go out with a heat lamp?

Dogsothoth

Chirping
Apr 15, 2022
North East Ohio
2E85C012-ED11-4577-95DE-A308B8B6EBC9.jpeg

If I have a heat lamp in the area still, are they feathered enough to go out in the little coop?

If I have a heat lamp in the area still, are they feathered enough to go out in the little coop?
If the heat lamp keeps part of the coop at the right temperature, YES they can go out.
Some people raise chicks in the coop from the very first day.

The basic needs for chicks:
--correct temperature
--water and appropriate food
--protection from predators, bad weather, etc.
--enough space

If you can provide those in the coop, then the chicks will be fine there.

I use nothing but Mama Heating Pad, and raise my chicks outdoors from the start, even here in Wyoming where our springtime chick season temps can be in the 20s, dipping into the teens, and we can see snow in June. In fact, it snowed here this past weekend!

As for fires, any electrical appliance from a coffee pot to a phone charger, can start a fire. I’ve been using the same heating pad for 7 years now. It’s checked carefully before we set it up, and it’s never folded or rolled up for storage between batches of chicks. It gets warm, but never dangerously hot. I use this as an example - grab a running heating pad. Now grab a running heat lamp. Yeah. Which is more likely to cause burns or start fires? There’s always a risk…I don’t minimize that. But it’s far safer than that hot heat lamp!

If the heat lamp keeps part of the coop at the right temperature, YES they can go out.
Some people raise chicks in the coop from the very first day.

The basic needs for chicks:
--correct temperature
--water and appropriate food
--protection from predators, bad weather, etc.
--enough space

If you can provide those in the coop, then the chicks will be fine there.
Yeah the temp is hitting my proper. No draft. I’m very paranoia about the lamp so I’ll prob get a plate.

Like some others, I brood outdoors from day one.

In fact, I just turned the brooder plate on so that everything will be ready for the chicks that I expect to arrive at the post office tomorrow morning.

As long as the coop is dry and draft free and the chicks know where to get warm they thrive outdoors.

Back
Top Bottom