Are they just blushing?

Tomhusker

Songster
10 Years
May 28, 2010
Carson, Iowa
My BR's are 19 (ish) weeks old and closing in on starting to pay their rent. I have read on here about the girls getting red as laying gets closer. My 4 gals get red, but not all the time, more like a blush when they are doing something they are intense or excited about.
My question is this: Is the red the hens get when they get close to laying a permanent red, or is it a passing red as I am seeing?

I have watched for the other signs like squatting & egg song and have noticed none of these. I am not trying to will them to lay eggs, I am just not real sure on their age and want to know what I am looking for. Here are a couple of the girls. I took these 2 days ago.

This one was just sitting on my chair with me, but maybe a little nervous with me sitting there also:
58919_101_0433.jpg

This one was just hanging around near me.
58919_101_0413.jpg

This is Dave the Rooster. He is ready for them to be mature.
58919_101_0451.jpg

Two of my BR's are much redder than your photo...#3 looks like your photo she comes and 'talks' to me and laid an egg yesterday. One of the redder ones also laid an egg yesterday. The other redder one was in and out of the nesting boxes but no egg.

Their getting close Tomhusker. I've seen daily change in my teens and YES once they start they stay nice and red. And if they loose color as an adult it could mean illness.

Your birds are Lovely... I have a few of them my self and they are about 20 weeks ( I think ) One of them looks to be ahead of her sisters as she had a bit more waddle and red to her. She even has more tail feathers. They ll still have some fuzzy feathers in the back. I hope mine start laying soon. Good luck

Quote:
Thanks, exactly what I needed.

I think I have a few weeks yet. No worries, I can still get farm eggs down the road a piece.

Dave is a handsome fella. My BR has had larger, redder comb and waddles for some time, still no eggs from her. She is 21 weeks.

I just love Dave. He is so cute. I know he would hate that, so I say it!

We have a sick chicken in the house and I have been watching her comb like a crazy person. She is laying and her comb is generally quite red, but there is a lot of variety. I have noticed especially after she eats that it becomes more pale. I liken this to the fatigue after eating that a lot of people get. I'm an acupuncturist and in Oriental Medicine we call it Spleen Qi Deficiency. You only have X amount of energy and if some of it is needed to digest food it can't operate your body. Obviously there should be enough to do both but if you are operating from a Spleen deficiency food needs to be processed so you are tired after lunch. Your girl in the first picture is so close she can almost taste it. Or really you can almost taste that egg. I bet within 5 days! (ok, I just looked at the picture again, girl #2 is behind her but I am going to hedge my bet and say 11 days on #1!)

The red for laying is like their skin tone. It changes but goes back to a basic color which will be redder than what it is now. My hen began laying before their combs were as red as Dave's but they have now gotten to that color.

I am surprised though by how much the color varies within a day. I know that she is not the best example, being hurt or sick or whatever, but still it changes a lot. So do their eyes, have you noticed how quickly their pupils change or is that just me??

Hi to Dave!

Back
Top Bottom