Are they OEGB??

DuckenNuts1937

Chirping
Apr 25, 2021
Hi fellow fowl fanatics,

These 4
PXL_20230524_233800081.PORTRAIT.jpg
guys had been sitting at the feed store for over a week, so naturally I had to take them in. Are they OEGBs? What colors are they? Can they be sexed with the "eye liner" method? Thanks y'all!!!

PXL_20230524_233508411.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

PXL_20230524_233530747.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20230524_233742378.PORTRAIT.jpg

The first one is the crele variety. I think the last may be silver duckwing or golden duckwing, but could be black breasted red. It's always a close call distinguishing those three varieties based on photos, since color is often not as it seems in pictures.

The eyeliner thing can work if it is specifically bred for, but hatcheries don't do that. Still, my bet is that #2 is a pullet. In a few weeks you will be able to tell with the last three by looking at the chest feathers. Females will have rusty or salmon colored breast feathers, and males will have black colored chest feathers. So black feathers means you have a boy.

The first one is the crele variety. I think the last may be silver duckwing or golden duckwing, but could be black breasted red. It's always a close call distinguishing those three varieties based on photos, since color is often not as it seems in pictures.

The eyeliner thing can work if it is specifically bred for, but hatcheries don't do that. Still, my bet is that #2 is a pullet. In a few weeks you will be able to tell with the last three by looking at the chest feathers. Females will have rusty or salmon colored breast feathers, and males will have black colored chest feathers. So black feathers means you have a boy.
This was so helpful, thank you!!!

the first looks like a crele cockerel. Crele pullets look similar to black breasted red chicks so you will see if they grow barred feathers or not.

The eyeliner thing has always worked for me but some have said it didn’t work for them. I have 12 fawn silver old English game bantam 1 month old chicks. 3 are khaki (if you breed fawn silver with fawn silver you get fawn silver, silver duckwing and khaki). When I got them at a week old I thought they would be half pullets and half cockerels with the two white khaki being cockerels and the khaki with light chipmunk markings would be a pullet and it did turn out to be the case. They also all did turn out to be 6 pullets and 6 cockerels. But it could just be chance. I’d guess your first is a cockerel, second a pullet but unsure about the other two.

the first looks like a crele cockerel. Crele pullets look similar to black breasted red chicks so you will see if they grow barred feathers or not.

The eyeliner thing has always worked for me but some have said it didn’t work for them. I have 12 fawn silver old English game bantam 1 month old chicks. 3 are khaki (if you breed fawn silver with fawn silver you get fawn silver, silver duckwing and khaki). When I got them at a week old I thought they would be half pullets and half cockerels with the two white khaki being cockerels and the khaki with light chipmunk markings would be a pullet and it did turn out to be the case. They also all did turn out to be 6 pullets and 6 cockerels. But it could just be chance. I’d guess your first is a cockerel, second a pullet but unsure about the other two.
Thank you!!!!

Back
Top Bottom