Are they pecking each other to death??

Is the 6th picture showing their whole area? If so, that is still way to small. Overcrowding brings real problems with it and you won’t be able to fix them without increasing the space. If the pecking goes on and they start drawing blood you can lose chicks. I highly recommend increasing their space, you want yo have at least 1 sqft per chick.

Also why not give them that whole big cage? Then they can faster acclimate to cooler temperatures as well as get away from each other.
I don't know the protein level off hand. I will check tomorrow!! Good suggestion!
The cage is sectioned off that way so I put them in the biggest part. If it can be done without destroying it I might open up another section or two.

Is the 6th picture showing their whole area? If so, that is still way to small. Overcrowding brings real problems with it and you won’t be able to fix them without increasing the space. If the pecking goes on and they start drawing blood you can lose chicks. I highly recommend increasing their space, you want yo have at least 1 sqft per chick.
Oh wow that is definitely not enough room then. It's only 2 ft by 4 ft. I'll see tomorrow about extending it and moving the blanket back more. Thanks for the tips, everyone!

I would still try to give them more room if possible.

I 2nd @Ohmyheart comment on the lamp being so close to the blanket/tarp. If they have a MHP a heat lamp is not necessary. These chicks are starting to feather out, so they don't need a lot of heat - just make sure your MHP is tall enough for them to get under - they will just go in for short periods of time, press their back against the pad to warm up, then out they come. If you feel they need more light during the day in the garage, you can turn on an overhead light for them.

Usually chick starter is a sufficient source of protein for growing birds, unless it's being diluted with a lot of treats like scratch, treats, etc. Overcrowding, I still feel is your main issue of the picking/loss of feathers.

Do you have a coop/run ready for them or do you have other chickens? If you have another flock, how do you plan on integrating them?

They needs lots more space! The two common reason for cannibalism is poor diet and lack of space.

Update: After watching the chicks closely, I noticed that one of my EE's was pecking the others so they would get off the MHP! She and my Barred Rock are the only ones with no peck marks. I think she is the only one doing the pecking! What would you do?

Update: After watching the chicks closely, I noticed that one of my EE's was pecking the others so they would get off the MHP! She and my Barred Rock are the only ones with no peck marks. I think she is the only one doing the pecking! What would you do?
Isolate her. But that looks close to impossible in your set up. She would need a little fenced off area all to herself, with water and feed if course, where she is right next to the others and can see them, but not peck them.
Reasons for bad behavior at this age are overcrowding and being kept too hot. Both are issues in your set up. If they had more room they could regulate their temperature more effectively by moving in and out if a warm spot as needed. But even when you remove the heat lamp you will just need more space. It helps if they have something to do, besides eat and drink, too. In addition you can bring in greens from outside, pulled up with the roots and a clump of soil sticking to them - they’ll pick through it and entertain themselves. A box with sand to dustbathe in and perch on the edge of is also good, perches to jump on and off... Think of chicks with a mother hen outside: there is so much to explore! The little guys in a brooder get bored and can pick up bad habits...
In a few days, once you’ve fixed the space/environment issue, reintroduce the troublemaker and see if it is reformed. Chances are good, but if not, repeat the isolation and try again....

I can see overcrowding since they technically need 4-16 more square feet for their age. I am working on extending their space but we don't have the right tool to cut the metal and are going to buy one soon.
Overheating is not an issue. I have a thermometer in there and it is technically too cold. It's been 35-60 in our carport where the chickens are and the heat lamp only warms up the right side up directly under the lamp to 70. That's why I added the MHP. If anything, it's too cold for their age. They don't seem to be too bothered by the cold temp though because I see them mingling about the cage during the day.
I can put her in another section of the cage right next to them! She will be able to see them through the wire. I guess I will have to move the heat lamp so it can be shared between the two sides? Or do I just get another heat lamp?
I didn't know they needed toys! I will gather a few things tomorrow and add it!

Most likely they are pecking them off the heating pad because of space.

Can you get several large boxes and tape them together to make a larger area for them?

Back
Top Bottom