Are they 'pets'?

I love love love my pigeons, but they are definitely more for my watching pleasure than for interacting with. I never tire of watching them fly around my yard and neighborhood though... they are so beautiful.

My banty chickens are also awesome and soooo cute! The Pekin duck is also a real cool character and probably the most interactive bird in my flock.

I can pick up my fantails & english trumpeters, they were not hand raised by me but are docile. However, these guys are in an enclosed 30' by 40' run. I don't think they would last very long out in the open especially the fantails - they seem totally unaware of what goes on around them
big_smile.png

My pigeons are very friendly birds. They eat from my hand and fly to me when called. They will even sit on my shoulders and arms when they think that I have food. My dove is also very tame and enjoys being handled.

Just spend a lot of time with them and they will come to enjoy you as much as you enjoy them.

I know someone who hand tamed a pigeon. He's really friendly and lets you scratch his back. Generally, pigeons are easier to tame when they're not paired off. When they're paired they tend to ignore you.
smile.png

my baby of gone feral two differant parents, loves attention, and before i had to start keeping him caged for fear of neighbors continuing to get ticked about him, he used to have to be tossed out repeatedly and chased off to go get exercise, then would come back and demand to be let in to sit on my knee, shoulder, or in lap ect, and hated to be put up by the other pigeons, till he and one other were only pigeons left for a while, now he still tries to come out and visit at times when feed, but more compliant to stay in cage, rather than fly around and hop all over me ( i really need to move!). i had my doves raise him from an egg, but was tossing and homer training him once he was starting to come out of the nest, so guess he bonded to me then, and was like a little dog along with a rooster i had, they were the sentinels of the flock of pigeons and chickens, and would watch up on the roof and such and chase off hawks. the chicken was also an awesome pet, and id say much more odd, though they both brought me stuff like little presents (both males as am i by the way, and they had picks of other bird type buddies and ladies..).

My chickens don't want to be handled at all, but I grew up with a kid who had a very devoted pet pigeon. It followed him to school and waited outside the school room for him, then flew above him as he walked back home each afternoon. The pigeon had to be caged so that it wouldn't follow him when his family drove into town. I think the pigeon had a strong homing instinct and had basically decided that this guy was "home", so it wanted to be with him all the time.

I have some pica cocks that will land on your shoulder when shaking the feed can.Like everybody else says,if you hand raise a pigeon or handel them alot as young birds they will always stay around.

Thanks

Chickens vs. pigeons as pets? Pigeons certainly win, if as mentioned, you hand raise them. As far as taming down for want of food, they're pretty much equal in that respect. Just M.O.

Here are some videos of my pet bird. They can be a lot of fun. You need to know how to handle them.

going for a bike ride

out in the desert

on one of my dogs

Back
Top Bottom