Are They REALLY This STUPID?

Ascholten

Free Ranging
Dec 12, 2020
Jacksonville, FL
Ok, so I walk into the back yard yesterday. Right there probably not 20 feet from the chickens, sitting on the fence is a big ass raid tailed hawk, watching them eat. The moment the hawk seen me it took off, but the chickens, they were there TOTALLY oblivious just picking away at their food. This hawk was not hidden in the least.

Are chickens really THIS stupid that they have zero sense of self preservation? I mean I was expecting them to be cowering in the coop, under a bush, or worse case, one of them tore to pieces by this hawk, NOT having crumpets and tea with the darned thing!!!

Now, I know, that the hawk knows, that they are there for sure now. I just have this real bad feeling that these birds are going to learn an object lesson very soon here and hopefully the 3 remaining run next time.

Any ideas to scare off hawks that don't involve explosives, elephants or slingshots and eggplants???

I am still, just totally stunned by this.

Aaron

Last edited by a moderator:
It may be that the hawk has visited several times and nothing has happened (do you have large chickens)? and have become desensitized to its presence. Chickens are actually highly aware of their surroundings and are acutely aware of danger. I’m just thinking maybe they can sense they’re too big to be carried off? Doesn’t mean the hawk won’t kill and eat on premises, but they may not realize the impending danger until there is an incident - which obviously we do not want.

It may be that the hawk has visited several times and nothing has happened (do you have large chickens)? and have become desensitized to its presence. Chickens are actually highly aware of their surroundings and are acutely aware of danger. I’m just thinking maybe they can sense they’re too big to be carried off? Doesn’t mean the hawk won’t kill and eat on premises, but they may not realize the impending danger until there is an incident - which obviously we do not want.
I see EXACTLY where you are coming from. One is a RIR that weighs a whalloping 3 pounds soaking wet, aka a nice hawk snack. The others are big fatties tipping the scales at probably 6 to 8 lbs. I keep telling myself this every day, the light one may be an issue but the others are too big for a hawk to carry off. Then am reminded that chickenhawks don't care about size ratios and will take one down and eat it right there if they can.

The hawks do pay a mighty lot of attention to my place so I am positive the girls have seen them before and thats my concern, they have become desensitized. Another dream I have is, it's spring now, food is abundant, so the hawk may not bother with something that is going to really be a bother, and winter / scarcer food months are more of a time to worry but then I cough and pull my head out of that dark place and realize hawks don't see things that way :p Hawks tend to see the world as easy food / less easy food..

Im just hoping it don't end the way it probably is going to, I really don't want to go down that path. I better read up on the laws out here as to which legal remedies I may have to take care of the hawks, ie capture release elsewhere or what? Unfortunately there are no falconry branches out here.

Aaron

I see EXACTLY where you are coming from. One is a RIR that weighs a whalloping 3 pounds soaking wet, aka a nice hawk snack. The others are big fatties tipping the scales at probably 6 to 8 lbs. I keep telling myself this every day, the light one may be an issue but the others are too big for a hawk to carry off. Then am reminded that chickenhawks don't care about size ratios and will take one down and eat it right there if they can.

The hawks do pay a mighty lot of attention to my place so I am positive the girls have seen them before and thats my concern, they have become desensitized. Another dream I have is, it's spring now, food is abundant, so the hawk may not bother with something that is going to really be a bother, and winter / scarcer food months are more of a time to worry but then I cough and pull my head out of that dark place and realize hawks don't see things that way :p Hawks tend to see the world as easy food / less easy food..

Im just hoping it don't end the way it probably is going to, I really don't want to go down that path. I better read up on the laws out here as to which legal remedies I may have to take care of the hawks, ie capture release elsewhere or what? Unfortunately there are no falconry branches out here.

Aaron
I hear ya! I have a gigantic 15 acre field next to may house and hawks are everywhere but rarely bother my chickens. I believe it’s because the field mice and voles are much easier to get and I do think that hawks have an inner sense of saving their energy - and a huge chicken may be a waste of energy? These are just my thoughts... I have only lost one to a hawk in my 5 years of chicken keeping - and it was a huge white rock that was eaten on premises. Ever since that incident, my chickens run for cover even when they see a low flying plane.
I hope you don’t have to have a loss for your chickens to learn! Do you have a rooster? My roo is great at alerting my flock - sometimes they’re too interested in foraging to pay attention to the sky.

I lost a 10 month Red sex-links earlier this month to a Coopers Hawk near Sunset.
I was in the basement when a chicken ran past a window and hid.
I ran outside towards the coops and the hawk flew out from under brush.
I searched and found the carcass.
Some feathers were plucked, but not yet eaten.
20210310_182144_resized.jpg

They all ran for cover as did this one, but the hawk went into the brush after it.
It took nearly an hour using a headlamp and flashlight to find the 7 survivors scattered around the property.
My Pullets used to look at Hawks in the safety of their covered pen. Now the 4 Pullets left in the flock, run for cover when they see an aircraft at 30 thousand feet.
Now they freak out when they hear a crow.
The 31 months old hens are more casual, but will hide if they see a Hawk or Raven.
The hens lost 2 Flockmates last year, one to a Fox, then to a Bobcat 3 months later while free ranging.
GC

the hawk may be waiting for his opportunity. Some hawks will kill even the heavier bird on the ground and eat them there so be careful.

Back
Top Bottom