Are they sick?

cp2894_

Songster
May 17, 2022
Indiana
I just got back from an appointment and when I went to check on my chicks, I noticed there was some dark green poop. Could this mean one of them are sick? They're around 5 weeks old and I started letting them outside with supervision for like 15 min each day this past week. Could it be because of the grass they're eating? They've been eating unmedicated starter, some fruits like watermelon, tomatoes, and nectarines (all in small portions just to cool them off because it's pretty hot), and the grass. Just plain filtered water too. They've all been acting pretty normal. Just panting occasionally because of the heat. Are there any other symptoms I should look out for or changes to their diet?

I just got back from an appointment and when I went to check on my chicks, I noticed there was some dark green poop. Could this mean one of them are sick? They're around 5 weeks old and I started letting them outside with supervision for like 15 min each day this past week. Could it be because of the grass they're eating? They've been eating unmedicated starter, some fruits like watermelon, tomatoes, and nectarines (all in small portions just to cool them off because it's pretty hot), and the grass. Just plain filtered water too. They've all been acting pretty normal. Just panting occasionally because of the heat. Are there any other symptoms I should look out for or changes to their diet?
Photos of the poop?

Diet affects the poop including the color, texture, etc. So if they have been eating grass, then this may be why the poop is green.
Do make sure they have grit available free choice.

Photos of the poop?

Diet affects the poop including the color, texture, etc. So if they have been eating grass, then this may be why the poop is green.
Do make sure they have grit available free choice.
Thanks for the reply! They seem to have buried it under their bedding while scratching around:rolleyes: I'll watch to see if it happens again and get a picture asap. I'm hoping it is just the grass. They've been getting grit everyday this week but I'm not super clear on how much I should be giving them. Is there an exact measurement for 5 chicks? Should I be sprinkling it throughout the brooder or putting in their food?

I'd just sprinkle some grit in their brooder or you can put it in a small separate dish for them to pick through.
They probably won't eat grit every day, but I would make it available free choice all the time. Usually they will eat a few pieces which are stored or used in the gizzard to help grind up food.

If they are active, eating/drinking, etc. then likely they are fine. If you notice any that seem off - hunched up, not wanting to eat/drink, etc. then there's cause for concern.

Back
Top Bottom