Are they suicidal?

Dingo

Songster
9 Years
Apr 29, 2010
Somewhere near Springfield, Ma
For the last week or two every night has been the same thing, my EE and cochin scream their fool heads off as dusk falls and the world goes dark around them. This was all fine and dandy inside the house, I thought maybe the sudden darkness when we turned off the kitchen light after dinner was the issue(no transition). Today before I left for work I put them outside in the coop of their tractor for the first time, they've been outside for 7 hours now and are once again trying to scream the dark away. They've been fed and given water and were fine until evening brought in dusk. We have raccoons that wander around the few scattered houses along my road and on a side road, no doubt they can hear the chicks screaming, the cochins voice is changing too so she sounds really distressed with the raspy tone.
Is there any remedy to shutting them up as dusk falls? this is going to lead to their demise if they continue, bears are abound around my house as well.
Oh and they are about 10 weeks old now, plenty old enough to be outside.

Maybe a night lite or one that is battery operated and on a timer. Never heard of such thing. Good luck!
Quote:

When they were inside we tried giving them a night light but that only seemed to make them scream more
barnie.gif

Lucky for them my mom is home to keep an eye on them and last report was they've gotten quiet, but this cannot keep happening something is bound to check out the source of all this noise.

I know it's not funny
hide.gif
becuz I certainly don't want to see predators get ur chickies...but the story itself is hilarious!
ep.gif
I can almost hear them screaming about turning the "sun" off!
D.gif
The sky is falling, the sky is falling!
D.gif

Well, they must have had an epiphany today, aside from the battle of "go up the ramp and stay in the coop while the door closes" they were well behaved.
For the last hour before "bed time" they were peeping a little but nothing overly distressed sounding. Maybe they were relieved to see the sky and taking note of the fact that it wasn't in fact falling.

Back
Top Bottom