Are they what I think they are?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Fleabuskitty, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Fleabuskitty

Fleabuskitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    I got 4 chicks a while ago. I was told they were Austrolorps. They obviously weren't, even when they were a week old, but I bought them anyway because I like mixes and they looked like they were going to be pretty. They are now approximately 3 months old, and one looks like a definite pullet, one look like a roo, and two I have no idea about. I only have photos of two of them, so I am posting those now. I will take pictures of the other two and post them soon.
    #1 I'm pretty sure this one is a cockerel
    [​IMG]
    I can't decide if those are saddle feathers or not...
    [​IMG]

#2 80% sure this one is a pullet, but I want to know what others think. Her comb is still grayish and there is no red on her face at all yet.
    [​IMG]

And here is a picture of chick I hatched a while ago. I am also pretty sure she's a pullet, but you never know. She is RIR x bantam birchen Cochin and about a week younger than the two above:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  2. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Very nice birds.. No idea what they are though... Sorry

3. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    I see hens with the possible exception of the last one. The angle is wrong to be sure on it.

4. Fleabuskitty

Feb 23, 2011
    So you think the first one is a hen? Yeah, sorry about the weird angle of the last one, that's the only photo I have of her. She also has an almost identical half sister (or brother?) with the same size comb. I will get more photos soon, I can't now because I'm sick and outside there is pollen (in February, it's crazy) that I'm allergic to.

5. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    I think all are pullets. The first looks like a Black Sexlink, probably a bit older than the other 2.

6. Fleabuskitty

Feb 23, 2011
    The first one is the same age as the second one, but he/she is way bigger than her and the other two. They are a week or so older than the last one and the last one is also half bantam.

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The first one is crossed with something red, of course. If the person told you they were 'Lorps, the first one has white legs but obviously is a cross. This makes it difficult to speculate that the first one is a female. The more usual Black Sex link is a Red (RIR or NH) over a Barred Rock which produces the sexable chicks, and that coloration would be a pullet. However, the white legs tells me it wasn't the "usual" Black Sex link match-up.

8. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    the coloration on the first one reminds me of a bcm with the red and the white legs [​IMG] i am leaning towards cockerel on the first one to but i would also think that the comb and wattles would be a tad bit bigger than they are and that the hackles of a rooster would have started coming in already...other than that i say the other 2 are pullets

9. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    I think the first is a cockerel - you can see darker red feathers coming in on the shoulder.

Others look like pullets, but I'm not familiar with any of your breeds so don't take my word for it :)

10. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    If the 1st one is only 12 weeks old and has that much wattle, I would have to say cockerel. Pullet on the 2nd and a tentative cockerel on the last one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by