Are turken chicks from strombergs hatchery show quality

Easter eggers

Songster
8 Years
Jul 4, 2011
I want to order some turken chicks from strombergs. I heard the sell show quality birds I'm just wondering if their turkens are show quality? Because I really want to use them for my 4-H year thanks.:D

You are dealing with a hatchery, with average hatchery stock. However, Stromberg's drop-ships show quality fowl from Urch/Turnland. So you can purchase these chicks (under the show quality section), or you can directly purchase these fowl from Urch/Turnland. Purchasing, these birds directly would save you money, as you would not be paying Stromberg to be a middleman.

If you order multiples from a hatchery, you will likely get one or two that are show quality. We bought 40 birds and hope to end up with 4 that are SQ, that might be wishful thinking, but we are hopeful!

I will also say that the SQ standards for 4H are much lower than a typical poultry show, they don't expect as much conformance. Just sayin'

If you order multiples from a hatchery, you will likely get one or two that are show quality. We bought 40 birds and hope to end up with 4 that are SQ, that might be wishful thinking, but we are hopeful!

I will also say that the SQ standards for 4H are much lower than a typical poultry show, they don't expect as much conformance. Just sayin'
I have ordered hundreds of birds from hatcheries, and never received a bird that could hold a candle to those of which I purchased from private breeders. However, featheredmom is right! 4-H usually doesn't require show quality fowl. In our local fairs, the kids show hatchery stock. It is all about the education, not who has the money to purchase the best fowl.

Last edited:
True on the county shows but if they show at ABA or APA sanctioned 4-H shows they will be judged just as hard as open show birds. I see kids do good at their local shows, and then be very disappointed when they get dq'd or the judge writes "not worthy" on the tag at a sanctioned show.

If OP wants to show, then OP should start with some good birds. People who show in 4H sometimes go on and it is a lot easier to progress and go to the bigger shows if one starts with quality breeding stock in the first place. The difference in price between quality birds and pet birds is not enormous. Perhaps no more than the cost of a pizza additional.

A local judge has told me that there are some good birds coming from Strombergs. I believe they have a separate section in their catalog with show birds offered. They are not the same as the regular birds in their catalog. The judge told me that the show birds are from Dwayne Urch, who does raise and sell some pretty darn nice birds.

Personally, I would order directly from Urch-Turnland. Note: I have no personal experience with Strombergs, just what I heard from a poultry fanatic who talks to everyone and travels a lot just to look at birds.

Strombergs is only a middle man and the prices are jacked way up. Mr. Stromberg passed away in the last few months, he was in his 90's i believe. He is dierectly responsible for the National Poultry Museum in the United States. Strombergs has been in business for mre than 60 years I think. The business tends to be for the people that know of no other place to get birds and supplies from. In the last 20 years the quality of "Strombergs birds" has gone up and is reputable.
Myself, if I wanted show birds, I would buy from a breeder. The Poultry Press newspaper has many listed. Google it.

In Poultryman language, the breed is not Turken. It is Naked Neck. - The Naked Neck [alias turken] can be any breed with the gene that gives no feathers on their neck. Show Girl Silkies are Naked Necks. I have White Cochin Naked Necks and White Cochin Frizzle Naked Necks. So Naked Neck is NOT a breed but a trait, that is commomly called a breed.
By the way--if you breed the Naked Neck gene into your birds, they tend to be healthier--don't know the connection--but it is common knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom