Are we both boys?

sydney13

Songster
Mar 11, 2010
Massachusetts
I got these two extra chicks added to an order who were labeled "males added for extra warmth". I assumed they were both males but now one has a much redder and larger comb than the other. Do you think they are both males, one just less developed or is one a pullet?
And do these guys look like production reds or rhode island reds or something else?
50920_dscn9052.jpg

50920_dscn9036.jpg

50920_dscn9042.jpg

50920_dscn9055.jpg

Thanks
big_smile.png

i think the dark one may be a roo (thick legs, looks like saddles and hackle growing in plus the really red comb) , but the one with more white in the head area may be pullet.( feathering still undeterminate, skinnier legs, lighter pinky-orange comb) ---- could be a pullet or could be a slower matureing male. You will have to wait a few more weeks to really know for sure.

I'd call them production reds. The hatchery could be selling as Rhode Island or New Hampshire. My Reds last year didn't start waddles 'till 9 weeks. The one on left is definitely a cockerel with such a nice red comb and robust legs.

I don't believe these are from an egg-laying variety. From their sheer size, weight, and classic feathering pattern, I'd say you have a pair of male Red Cornish Crosses. They are used as meat birds, but the reds are a really nice alternative to the traditional whites, in that they don't cripple themselves with their own weight by 12 weeks.

I hope that helps, I've heard the Reds are really tasty, so if you are willing to process, or have a local butcher, you're in for a treat.

(If you see these as pets, I apologize for suggesting processing)

Last edited:
Quote:
I would love for them to be a meat variety actually
smile.png
We were planning on eating them since we can't keep roosters so that would be great if they are meat types
big_smile.png

Would a red Cornish cross be called a red broiler? I got them from ideal and their only types of red meat birds are what they call a red broiler
https://secuservices.com/ideal/newideal/selectproduct.aspx?qty=1&ID=RBS&Product=402
They are 7 weeks old and 2 pounds by the way.

Quote:
Yep, that is one of their classic names! Yours are probably growing slower than what the hatchery quoted because I doubt you expected broilers, and therefore haven't been feeding them broiler food. They should still become heavyweights, they'll just be slower about it while eating normal chick feed.

Grats on getting something you wanted! I'd be upset to get broilers because I'm a big soft sissy
tongue.png
. I can just imagine myself crying all the way to the butcher. Or better yet, just making my poor DH do it.

Quote:
Yep, that is one of their classic names! Yours are probably growing slower than what the hatchery quoted because I doubt you expected broilers, and therefore haven't been feeding them broiler food. They should still become heavyweights, they'll just be slower about it while eating normal chick feed.

Grats on getting something you wanted! I'd be upset to get broilers because I'm a big soft sissy
tongue.png
. I can just imagine myself crying all the way to the butcher. Or better yet, just making my poor DH do it.

I have had them on 18% protein just about all the way through (first 2 weeks was 20% protein) they have also been on free range so they eat a lot more grass than there commercial feed.

i kinda do not think that they are broilers. most CX are at 6-8 lbs at 7 weeks.... mine were and we processed at 8 weeks. I think these are production reds - egg layers. Still, tho, if they are roos, you can certainly use them for fryers around 15-19 weeks! Hope this helps and hey, I am still holding out for the lighter one to be a pullet!

Back
Top Bottom