Are We Getting Close???

dirtsaver

Songster
9 Years
Mar 20, 2010
Northern Kentucky
Every evening Eva and I let the girls out of the run for an hour or two(while we can be out with them) to range the yard for bugs and grass. Then it's back to the run for their "bread treat" time. Yesterday when I reached out to one of the BO's she squatted down under my hand and kind of spread her wings a bit. Tonight the same girl and another of the Buffs did it again. They are right at 17 weeks old. Is this behaviour sign they are getting close to laying time?

Thanks!
Larry

(edited for spelling)

Last edited:
yippiechickie.gif
oh yes it is!

Can you teach my girls that trick? They are 17 wks and have showed no signs at all... they still don't even like the roo despite all his pretty feathers and dancing!

Aha! You are almost there, chickens are a waiting game! Are their legs getting yellow? and their combs getting red, and egg squat are all signs that an egg is coming! what fun.

Put some fake eggs in your nest. I use a couple round rocks myself. Each girl will think "oh, someone thought this was a good spot. It helps them lay in the nest. mrsK

Last edited:
Quote:
lol .. mine are almost 23 weeks .. they JUST started squatting and accepting the roo ... I look for eggs everyday .. freeloaders ..

Oh, this is good to know!!!

One of our black stars just started doing the same thing when I pet her! We have 9 hens - 4 buffs & 4 black stars that are 15 weeks old, and 1 BR that is 14 weeks old. About 1/2 of them have had their combs turn bright red. I can't wait to find the first egg!

DJ

Back
Top Bottom