Are we open to Criticism in BYC?

Pics
Went to darien yesterday and the people I was with bought two things of fries and ate a few and tossed the rest out....they also bought a refill cup those plastic ones and got sick of carring it and threw that out to....some people are foolish with money thats for sure. But they also get free produce boxes just to let it go moldy...thought those boxes was for low income families not ones with good paying jobs...

Went to darien yesterday and the people I was with bought two things of fries and ate a few and tossed the rest out....they also bought a refill cup those plastic ones and got sick of carring it and threw that out to....some people are foolish with money thats for sure. But they also get free produce boxes just to let it go moldy...thought those boxes was for low income families not ones with good paying jobs...
darien, as in darien ct?

and what do you mean by free produce boxes?

darien, as in darien ct?

and what do you mean by free produce boxes?
Darien lake aka six flags and free produce boxes its 20lbs of food they pass out to cars usually has potatoes, onions, corn, cucumbers,apples,oranges,grapes etc whatevers in season all you do in drive and sit in line they fill your vehicle up and your on your way they also sometimes give free cans of stuff, cheese,milk,meat etc i have a pic of one ill have to look for it you can get mulitple family to which is more then one box

Paper, cardboard, plastic, glass and metals--these can be recycled/reused/repurposed. Finding a facility to do that is very difficult.

I wasn't speaking of 'real' food.
Yes and no.
Paper and cardboard will compost, which is much easier here than in urban areas. Doing it here saves the truck coming to collect it. Or it burns but I hesitate to say that because it takes a very hot fire to burn it cleanly. That is not hard to do (it takes a rocket stove - easy to build if you know about it. Also possible here but not in an urban area.
The vast majority of plastic and glass isn't recycled, even if it goes in a recycle bin somewhere.
We have metal recycling here. Both transfer stations and private companies. I know of two each in this community and the next over.

The ones I knew about in the urban area closed. The only place I could find to take scrap metal (a post for a basketball backboard) was where we had our car repairs done. They did it because we were very good customers and it was a one time thing. The town was still taking things like food cans but they also took plastic and glas and I know those went into landfills.

It is really frustrating. The best I've found is to minimize getting packaging in the first place. So, refill gallon or three gallon water containers instead of buying bottled water, 25 pound paper bags of oatmeal instead on 1 pd canisters, skip the bags at checkout completely, glass leftovers containers instead of plastic wrap, wax paper for sandwiches in "sack" lunches. That sort of thing.

Back
Top Bottom