Are/were you surprised??

My rooster crowed for the first time this morning. Not much of a crow, more like a choke but it impressed me none the less. He did it several times so I know it was intentional.

Now we'll really see how friendly my neighbors are.

I haven't named my three hens and rooster. Need to think of some good names. One hen is white and small and aggressive. She rules the roost. The other two hens are followers. The rooster is in charge of the whole shebang.

I have a lawn chair in the chicken run. Often I just go out there to sit and watch my birds. Crazy? But relaxing, yes.

Quote:
Just be careful where you sit!
wink.png
lau.gif

I was just thinking about this yesterday.
smile.png
I'm really surprised at how much joy a few chickens can bring someone! They bring me and my family hours of laughter by the way my cochin runs with his feathered feet and how they run at us demanding treats when we go outside.

Yesterday my mom was telling me how my dad was feeding them bread in the morning. She said he couldn't resist to give them at least one piece. She said it relaxes him. I think that is so cool!

So yes, I am surprised how awesome a bunch of chickens can be to have.

Last edited:
I think it has been well stated, chickens are delightful and are wonderful pets-the eggs just add to the thrill of having them! I have 5 hens, born on 5/2/09-I knew them when they were just eggs!

Last July I talk my Hubby into getting 5 pullets he built them a pen that no varmint could get in and we watched them as they scratch around the yard, then in Sept, I went back to the same farm and got 5 more pullets, and they we watched the chicken soap as they figured out who was boss, poor red got de-throned and Zelda is now queen chicken I knew I had the chicken fever when I found myself and the family out side with our chairs sitting in front of the pen for more then 2 hours just watching the chickens, I love my chickens and love gathering (picking as hubby calls it) eggs, I love the chickens even cleaning out the coop and pen the way they gather at the gate when I go out to feed them or just to check for eggs, when I hear them clucking during the day when one finds a bug and they play tag to see if they can still the bug away, hubby said yesterday that he wished we had gotten chickens sooner, I have wanted chickens for years
barnie.gif
that's men for you I can only have 15 in town but i want a farm so I can have many more, I am glad that I did pick different breeds makes the flock more colorful and I have an Easter egg basket with eggs from light pink to brown to blue to olive green I love the eggs they are a bonus to the chickens. and what they bring to the family.

Back
Top Bottom