Are White Rocks good meat birds, how fast do they grow??

mommyofthree

Songster
9 Years
May 18, 2010
I am wondering how quickly White Rocks grow and about how big they get. We're getting some Cornish rocks soon to raise for meat, but I'm kind of kooky when it comes to animals and it seems to me that they would have a crummy life while they're alive since they grow so fast. We'll see how this round goes, but I imagine I won't want to raise these kind again from what I've heard.
I want a meat bird that will grow quickly, but will be able to live a decent life before being butchered. Any suggestions on breeds??

My husband wants to at least try the Cornish X and see how it goes. If it were just up to me we wouldn't.
I've looked around for info in White Rocks and can't seem to find much about their growth.

I imagine that the growth of white rocks is pretty much like most dual purpose birds. Expect to grow them out for 16-20wks to get a decent sized bird.

Before the X took over the market, the white rock, especially the males, were very, very popular meat birds, and still are in many quarters. They do not grow any faster than any other DP, but nice personalities, pleasant to have around and very tasty. You won't get the odd proportions of the Cornish X, but you will get a traditional, heritage type meat bird. Since they are so cheap to buy, usually around a buck, you might just give em a try next time. You'll need to allow them 19-20 weeks to reach a size you'll find respectable.

Fred's Hens :

Before the X took over the market, the white rock, especially the males, were very, very popular meat birds, and still are in many quarters. They do not grow any faster than any other DP, but nice personalities, pleasant to have around and very tasty. You won't get the odd proportions of the Cornish X, but you will get a traditional, heritage type meat bird. Since they are so cheap to buy, usually around a buck, you might just give em a try next time. You'll need to allow them 19-20 weeks to reach a size you'll find respectable.

Is that old enough for them to start crowing??? Reading this thread with interest, because I am thinking about White Rocks.​

Yes, they can start crowing by that time. When I raised colored broilers, I ended up having to butcher the males at 13wks because they were crowing a lot. I am not allowed roosters on my property so they were dispatched early. They were pretty scrawny at that age.

Quote:
Good to know PotterWatch,thank you! The CX don't start crowing before processing time do they?? I know they are ready to process earlier, so just wondering. THANKS! I can't have roosters either, but man if I could find a gorgeous rooster that did not crow he would be mine!!

Quote:
I know how you feel! I wish we could have a rooster here.

I suppose it would be possible for one of the cornish to start crowing before processing time, but it would be unusual and probably not for very long at all before the big day.

Thanks for the replies! We'll probably try some Cornish X just so my husband can see firsthand what it's like raising them, then we'll see how the White Rocks go. I personally don't mind waiting the extra weeks for them to grow.
I bought some White Rock eggs on eBay, they arrived yesterday (14 of them!) and I set them this morning with my duck eggs that have been incubating for a week now. So they all have the same hatch date. The eggs were only one state over so they weren't shipped that far and they were packaged and labeled very nicely. And the seller has great feedback. I'm so excited!!
ya.gif
Hoping for a great hatch.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom