Are wolfdogs legal in Washington State?

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
A friend of mine's boyfriend recently bought a wolfdog that has 80% wolf content. No matter what I type in, I can't seem to find anything regarding how legal it is to own one.
Does anyone know if it's legal to own one in Washington State?

Just be aware that there may be local ordinances that are more strict, and if there is an incident, legally you(they) will get destroyed. So make sure it is trained, contained and vaccinated.

Just wanted to drop in here and let you know, a lot of 'breeders' (backyard breeders) breed fake wolfdogs. Anyone who uses percentages when telling you how much content their 'wolfdogs' are is lying. There are low content, mid content and high content wolfdogs. There is no such thing as a '80%' wolfdog. A lot of these people just breed huskies and shepherds to get the wolfy look and sell them for ridiculous prices.

Also if it is an actual wolfdog, your friends boyfriend is in for a world of hurt. They are nothing like dogs. They are extremely destructive, can be aggressive, hyper, and are much stronger then a normal dog. There are so many rescues for wolfdogs because people get overwhelmed by them and set them loose in the woods. I volunteered at one and the amount of people dropping them off or giving them up was crazy.

Also to give you an example of how powerful they are: One of the wolfdogs at the rescue I volunteered at had to have surgery. They put him in the house while he recovered. The guy who runs the organization left to go down the street to pick up some food, and when he got back the wolfdog has chewed through his couch, the walls, the drywall, and the front door.

I think usually anything more than half (maybe a quarter now) is illegal in most places. My mom amd frandma raised them about 35 years ago and had to move them somewhere when they got new laws lowering the amount of wolf allowed

Or so she tells me, but she embellished occassonally

Back
Top Bottom