Are you finding that meatie chicks are harder to keep clean?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by stone_family3, Mar 3, 2012.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Mine are lazy little blobs, so they spend most of their time laying down. I'm constantly making them get up and move. However I've found out that they will lay anywhere even in poo so now I'm constantly cleaning them off.

2. Firemenlovechicks

Firemenlovechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes...... The meaties are notoriously NASTY! I've done them for the last 2 years, but have gone with more traditional breeds for my flock this year. Good luck!

3. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Thanks, I had a grab bag of eggs and didn't know which ones were meaties. turns out I had seven hatch.

4. birdman1960

birdman1960 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2012
    north central cheeseland
    Put down more bedding so they stay drier, or clean their pen more often, about all you can do...they are bred to eat, sleep, and poop...

5. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    This is my first time with meaties. I got 17 cornish rock about 1 week ago at 1 week old. They are in an outside pen on the ground and I put some pine shavings down. They quickly got some areas really wet/mucky with all the poo. I added some pine pellet bedding (horse bedding) that I had for the ducklings I'm brooding and it has helped alot.

6. SowdersHomestead

SowdersHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    Fostoria, Ohio
    This is definitely the downfall to CX's. This year we put down shredded leaves instead of pine shavings. The smell is completely different and the poop and leaves bound together. The birds are still a bit dirty but nothing like when I used pine shavings. Not to mention, leaves are free.

7. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I raise mine in a tractor and make sure I move it everyday cause if not it stinks to high heaven!! [​IMG]

8. Montana-Hens

Montana-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Buxton, Montana
    That and altitude keep me doing dual purpose. I really don't like dirty hens.

9. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    I moved my meat birds every couple days last time it helped a lot with the smell,
    I am trying Freedom Rangers this yr. plan to keep them in a tractor, with extra range area, I am wondering if feed with calcium is not a good idea? I have 18% protein poultry from hamilton. I can get it cheaper then TSC or FFH. and it is good feed. haven't checked yet to see if they have a flock raiser

10. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I've been changing their bedding every other day I have 12 birds in there all together. really need to move them outside, but unfortunately it's soooo cold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by