Are you finding that meatie chicks are harder to keep clean?

stone_family3

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 11, 2011
New York
Mine are lazy little blobs, so they spend most of their time laying down. I'm constantly making them get up and move. However I've found out that they will lay anywhere even in poo so now I'm constantly cleaning them off.

This is my first time with meaties. I got 17 cornish rock about 1 week ago at 1 week old. They are in an outside pen on the ground and I put some pine shavings down. They quickly got some areas really wet/mucky with all the poo. I added some pine pellet bedding (horse bedding) that I had for the ducklings I'm brooding and it has helped alot.

This is definitely the downfall to CX's. This year we put down shredded leaves instead of pine shavings. The smell is completely different and the poop and leaves bound together. The birds are still a bit dirty but nothing like when I used pine shavings. Not to mention, leaves are free.

I raise mine in a tractor and make sure I move it everyday cause if not it stinks to high heaven!!
sickbyc.gif

Yes...... The meaties are notoriously NASTY! I've done them for the last 2 years, but have gone with more traditional breeds for my flock this year. Good luck!

I moved my meat birds every couple days last time it helped a lot with the smell,
I am trying Freedom Rangers this yr. plan to keep them in a tractor, with extra range area, I am wondering if feed with calcium is not a good idea? I have 18% protein poultry from hamilton. I can get it cheaper then TSC or FFH. and it is good feed. haven't checked yet to see if they have a flock raiser

I've been changing their bedding every other day I have 12 birds in there all together. really need to move them outside, but unfortunately it's soooo cold.

Back
Top Bottom