Are you freezing water containers for your chickens or am I alone in this

I fill plastic cereal containers with water and freeze them then pop them out into a pan to melt during the day.
A container holds about a gallon and lasts all day. The chickens wade in and drink the cold water as it melts off the block.
View attachment 1848703 View attachment 1848702
But I do have electric in the coop and also run a fan for them.
I put something like that our for my chickens about an hour ago, and it's melted already. Where in the world, at these temps, does a block of ice last "all day"? It's crazy hot, and it hasn't even peaked in temp here yet. It's currently 87, with humidity at 84%. Supposed to get to 94 yet. Sigh...hang in there chickens....

I have one fan in the run blowing down on them, and another commercial fan outside the run, in the shade, blowing somewhat cooler air on them. Hopefully it is enough. So far, they seem to be doing ok.

I put something like that our for my chickens about an hour ago, and it's melted already. Where in the world, at these temps, does a block of ice last "all day"?
Well 'all day' is more relative than literal....
....large chunks last way longer than typical ice cubes.

When Temps get very hot I freeze 2 quart bottles of water and drop it in the waterers of my caged birds that have a roof directly under the sun. This drops the temps in the cage as well as provides cooler water to drink. Chickens do not need this as much as rabbits do, part of the reason why I got rid of rabbits. They are not fun to have in summer.

I put something like that our for my chickens about an hour ago, and it's melted already. Where in the world, at these temps, does a block of ice last "all day"? It's crazy hot, and it hasn't even peaked in temp here yet. It's currently 87, with humidity at 84%. Supposed to get to 94 yet. Sigh...hang in there chickens....

I have one fan in the run blowing down on them, and another commercial fan outside the run, in the shade, blowing somewhat cooler air on them. Hopefully it is enough. So far, they seem to be doing ok.
When I say "all day" I mean all "WORK" day. I add cubed ice to the pan when I get home if the ice is gone. Otherwise, they do fine in my absence.

Back
Top Bottom