Are you kidding me?

supermommy

Songster
10 Years
Mar 23, 2009
central ny
So back before Easter I bought 3 duclings from TSC and after doing much research "thought" I had gotten mallards. So today we go into TSC and get to talking to the man who works there about ducks, chickens etc.. He tells me my so called mallards are not mallards but something else that starts with a "s" ummm ok well he could remember what they were... now upon further info u cant get mallards in NY they are illigal or something?? Any idea what they could be then? They look just like mallards..What breed duck starts with "s" anyway?? Any help or idea's would be so greatful!

I'm no expert (so listen to them when they come in here and tell you something different) but I know that Northern Shovelers have green heads. Maybe that's it?

swedish saxony? silver ancona?? I know next to nothing about ducks...I"m in the researching phase.

Last edited:
Well i dont think there is any breed starting with "s" that looks like a mallard. They could very well be Rouens...they look just like mallards except they are bigger and fatter. Here is a picture of some rouen ducklings...
Ducklings3Wks1.jpg

and some rouen ducks full grown....

7-29-0720Rouen1.jpg

I think you'll be just as happy if you have rouens.....good luck with your ducks!

I really am upset with TSC I should have ast the day I got them but was just so excited that I didnt even think about it...I mean really I dont care what breed they are, as my family and I are already in love and attached, but I would like to know. The guy said there is NO WAY they would have been mallards. hummm Well then maybe I will just have to wait untill they get older and get there color to know for sure..lol Thanks so much for the responses so far!

Here is one just about a week after we got them
Picture004.jpg

Last edited:
If they look like Mallards, they probably are Rouens. The only other domestic ducks I can think of off hand that begin with an "s" would be Swedish or Saxony, but neither look like Mallards as ducklings (or as adults).

if you got them around easter they are about 5 weeks old...post some pics and we'll be able to tell easily if they are mallards or rouens.

From that picture it really looks like a mallard? are you sure the guy knew what he was talking about?....look at the picture, the duck has a bar running through its eye and two dark spots under that stripe. Rouens usually have two solid bars, but there are always exceptions...do you have any recent pictures?

Back
Top Bottom