Are you northern members ready for winter?

Ken H

Songster
10 Years
May 21, 2009
I built my coop this summer. As I have never had chickens before, I tried to take everything into consideration. The whole coop has inner and outer sheathing with 1 1/2" insulation throughout. The windows are triple pane. I have two deep red heat lamps at 250 watts each controlled by a thermostat set at 35 degrees. The coop is designed to be able to maintain 55 degrees at a -20 degree outdoor air temp. A 40 watt light is there for light and is on a timer in series with a photo-cell overide. That means if there is enough outdoor light, the electric bulb won't come on. I built the coop on a trailer for easy mobility. In the deep winter, I should be able to keep the chicken door open so the girls can go outside if they want and still maintain above freezing temps inside the coop. Here's a few pictures.

32069_heatlamps.jpg

32069_coopandyard.jpg

Last edited:
Coop looks awsome. Just some thoughts on my part.

Based on the size in the pics I cant see you needing 2 -250 watt lamps. I have one in a 8x12 coop and it never freezes evne in -40 F weather.
Having the lights on a thermostat ? Not sure I like that idea. Wake up the the girls at night and off the roosts and then they go out when it warm up.... Maybe they will get used to it.

The deep red heat lamps should not disturb the girls. Very little light in the visible spectrum. I wanted extra heat capacity so I could keep the coop door open during the day and still keep the coop at 35 degrees easily.

I am almost ready, I think. My windows are only single pane I wonder if maybe I should put some plastic on the outside for winter.................. Cute coop. Just out of curiosity where are you located?

Um....no, not ready at all unfortunately. We'll have to run lights out to the coop to compensate for the shorter days, and I really should finish insulating the coop. There's just not enough time in the day! It's a good thing I have ducks, they don't really care if it's cold out or not.

Quote:
Er, is there a particular reason WHY you'd want to do that, because that is much much warmer than healthy chickens need (even bantams or large-combed breeds) in a decently managed coop.

That is a lot of electricity to waste, and potential fire hazard, for no purpose. Honest, chickens do pretty well with cold... and 35 F is not *approaching* real cold for them.

You do have to have adequate ventilation. If you shut the coop up tight, with only a pophole for air, you *might* need to blast yer electric bill out the roof, because you'll end up with so much humidity. But with sensible ventilation, even though yes that makes the coop a little cooler, the air is DRY and thus not apt to cause frostbite except at Real Very Cold temps.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Great looking coop...love that it's on wheels! I agree with the poster who mentioned that 2 heat lamps of that wattage is probably more than needed unless you live in the arctic...heeheehee. But I'm a planner/worrier too...so I understand you wanting to be ready.

Back
Top Bottom