Are you Peking kidding me?

Pics
So this morning when I went out at 6 AM to open up the coop for the morning. Ducks sounded the "alarm" like they do every morning. I had placed that pie pan of zucchini close to the gate to the chicken yard so I glanced at it when I entered the yard this morning. Not touched. Then around 8:30 this morning, I went back out to feed everyone (horses, goats, chickens, ducks, yadda yadda...) and noticed that the ducks were suspiciously close to the pie pan. I walked passed it towards the barn (as the ducks bolted in the opposite direction) and noticed that SOME of the zucchini has been eaten and all of the water was gone out of it. I quietly added some more water to it so, provided the horses don't see it and eat it, we'll see if they eat any more of it later today....

I know they do like kale so I thought I'd grab some today at the store. Maybe grab some blueberries too since someone mentioned that....

On a side note, when do ducks start laying? I put an old nesting box in a quiet, shady spot where the ducks like the rest along the fence row. I thought MAYBE the female might choose to lay there. Since she won't go in the duck house, I'm not sure where she is going to choose to lay once she starts. I am building a new 8' x 10' chicken coop. With this new addition, I'll actually have THREE coops in the chicken yard. If I can entice the ducks to enter, maybe they will pick one and stay there for the winter.
That’s a start at least. My ducks frustrate me badly. Mine are only 16 weeks, give or take. We bought all 4 of them together when they were a couple days old. Hand fed them from then on, but they will not allow us to touch them. My 6 year old will chase one of the khaki’s & hold it, surprisingly it doesn’t fight the love. They will come up very close to me & nibble on my clothes & shoes if I’m doing something with the chickens. They are starting to get territorial with all of the chickens now since I started free ranging, but for the most part keep their distance.

If you think you might want to, I would add a couple more ducks to their group. Whether or not to add young ones or find some around the same age, I have no clue. I’m still new to this homesteading, only started back in March/April.

Once in a while you'll get a really particular duck that prefers a certain spot or will even use a nesting box, but for the most part they just like to find a little private corner somewhere to tuck away. If they dont even like the coop they probably wont go for a nesting box. Pekins in particular are also terrible parents, they often dont tend to go broody and will abandon any eggs they do lay so you might have to do a full search of the whole yard to find any. The 26-28 week mark is what's most common for them to begin laying but it can come earlier or later. Her diet may also affect her laying.

I'd *really* suggest getting at lest two or three more girls, same age or older, pekin or other large breed before the winter sets in. A 1:1 male and female pairing is dangerous for her even if she seems like a competent bully who can hold her own right now. And maybe itll make them more friendly (or at least lose interest in the chickens) if they see how other ducks behave with you and the others. Pekins are *generally* really friendly/docile birds, people really like them as a pet breed so it seems like you just didnt get so lucky with your first two, but its possible that being around other ducks and seeing how they're *supposed* to behave could mellow them out, teach them they dont have to be afraid of treats, etc.

Thank you. This is a rather simple and affordable system. How often do you have to change the water and filter? Do you have one in each of your pools or one for both? My ducks are pretty muddy and I have only 4. lol
I clean the box once a week just disconnect it from the pump open it spray it out with hose and reconnect it and its just 1 pump and filter for both there is a hose that goes from pump to the smaller one to circulate the water from one to the other and i have 8ducks 1x a week to clean the filter is enough i got that filter specific for what is inside
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MYW94XB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fab_TUrzFbQ4BJCE5

Last edited:
Thank you, I am looking into this. How big are your two ponds? They are probably bigger than mine. I am wondering if I should upgrade my little swim hole at the same time. Just can't be outside too long to dig another hole right now. lol The air is so bad.
Mine are 500gallons together they used to be koi ponds

Today is the first time I have seen my drake attempt to mate with the female... He was chasing her all over the pond. I would pick up a few more females but I don't know anyone who has ducks. I need to look to see if any of the hatcheries sell adults....

Back
Top Bottom