are your dogs and chicken friends

My elderly mini-doxie was 11 when I got my first chicks almost four years ago. He'd never seen a chicken in his life. At that time, where I lived then, I had a run for the flock. He tested every linear foot of that run and was my best "weak spot" finder. During the first three months of the chooks out in the run (meaning, out of the brooder) Zorro chased and caught 3 of them, because they ran. He killed them by shaking their small bodies. He got into the run once to catch and shake the first to death after cornering it, he was in the run at my side -being a good boy - when a chicken got out on a walkabout. It saw him and ran - he took off and caught it before *I* could get to the run gate and get out to stop him. Each time, he was chastened, but gave up the carcass to me. The third time, I had to chase him down to wrest the dead chicken from him.

All my fault. I started keeping him on a leash, then chaining him when I couldn't get chores done holding his leash. He hated that and started to want to go back inside the house rather than stay chained. After all, he'd never been chained before.

Then one of my hens went broody and hatched a single chick. She kicked his butt several times just for being anywhere near them even on the leash. (That was sort of funny...) Then the rooster launched at him, scored a direct hit with claws on Zorro's side, bowling him over. Big rooster, major flapping and screaming a velociraptor War Cry.

My OTHER doxie, a rescue, two years old, totally avoided the chickens. I think he saw the drama and trauma of my training Zorro and decided he didn't want Momma yelling at him like that or being sad about dead chickens.

Finally, Zorro decided chickens were meanies. Of course, by then, they were adult chickens and no longer small flappy things to chase. Both he and Dooley will avoid closely passing any poultry. If
they follow me in the yard, they'll both tuck their tails between their legs and drop their heads as they pass birds. The chickens aren't at all bothered by their presence (except for broody hens with chicks, which don't even like other flock-mates near thier babies).

Zorro is now nearly fifteen years old. Carl the dominant rooster and Buffy, the very first hen in the flock to hatch chicks are both almost four. If Carl walks up to me, Zorro decides he will go somewhere else.

I now have a house Silkie. She can sleep ON Zorro on the sofa and he doesn't care. If she gets too near Dooley, he moves to the other end of the sofa.

My shepard does not pay much attention to the chicks. The min-pin though has made it her job to protect the chicks. The other day the brooder light shut off and my min-pin was crying and kept running back and forth between me in the office and chicks in the kitchen. I got up and she was one proud pooch to tell me something was wrong. Min-Pin also chases the cats away when they get too close. I am not yet convinced though that if min-pin had the chance to 'play' with the chicks that she would not hurt them as she is still a pup.

Thanks for all the info people! I did take the chicks out to the back -back yard today for a half hour or so. They loved exploring the grass/dirt/dead leaves etc. it was only about 50 degrees an breezey but the sun was in and out and the chicks seem to have most of their real feathers. I brought out my mini doxie on a leash, and she definitely remembered them from the house brooder. She was way too excited to lete her near them. I let her sniff one I was holding and made it clear it was not her new toy. But with her being deaf and very stubborn, it's hard to break through her focus. I use the shoulder poke and snout grab to tell her no, so she knows they are not to play with but they are too small for her to be off leash. I am sure when they are grown they will intimidate HER! And I let our two horses sniff them too, though the two year old I would not trust for a sec. Loved letting them out in the yard, though they have tons of room in the horses stall to run around.

my husky mix cody is 13 years old he looks at my silkies to be toys or treats lol he always follows them gets his tail waging and starts sticking his tongue out and like licking the air not his lips but just like licking the air idk why he does it but idk he has a bad leg to so he can;t keep up with my other two dogs my pit bull butch he is 3 years old and my aussie shepherd jersey she is also 3 but she is scared of the birds after she got attacked by a broody hen and butch doesn't really like them but they will chase anything away from the yard and even my chickens are not scared of wild birds i have some chickens that chase the wild birds trying to catch them lol

I was just wondering this same thing last night. We have an 8 year old Bichon Frise. Last year we got our first chicks. From day one she was interested in them, but not in any type of predatory way. When they are free ranging in our yard she hangs with them, but she's kind of a wimp and would rather be inside. The funniest thing is when the Ameraucana chicken chases her around. That chicken is lowest in the pecking order so I think she tries to make sure someone is lower than her, even if it's a dog. Our dog is also great around our pet rabbits when they are out.

Our chickens and dogs get along fine. They aren't friends but they aren't enemies. My spaniel mix likes running by them and making them flap and squawk, but she doesn't chase them. My husband's beagle pretty much ignores them. And we have an older GP rescue that showed a little too much interest in them when she first came here, but after correcting her, she doesn't pay them any attention now.

I introduced my Pup (Daisy) to my flock of chicks yesterday and she loves them, she laid right next to their box last night and this morning she headed straight to them to see how they were doing.

My cat loves to guard the chickens, but I don't think it's in a maternal way. There's no way I'll free range them in my small yard. I'm sure they would all end up as cat dinner. Instead I carry them to their tractor every day for a few hours grazing then carry them all back to their coop before dusk.

Now my problem is this..... I'm going to look after a Husky for three weeks. She has no command controls whatsoever!! I'm actually afraid of her getting near the chickens, cat and rabbit. She is always over excited when I do visit her but calms down when I ignore her. Now does anyone have any suggestions how I deal with the next three weeks?

I've a feeling she'll be on a leash 24/7......
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom