are your dogs and chicken friends

Love this thread! We have two dogs. One is a very big Border Collie/Bernese Mountain mix. For quite some time he wanted nothing more than to eat them. We had to watch him every moment. Then one day the neighbor's dog barked at them through the fence and that was the turning point. He ran and stood between the dogs and the chickens. From that point on he made it his job to protect his flock and those chickens ( especially the Buff Orpington and one of Silkies ) love him. He's old and hasn't been doing well and his chickens will come check on him and pull leaves and such out of his fur if I'm outside brushing him. He even lets them come eat from his food dish. They're great friends.

The other dog is a Chihuahua and I'm not quite sure exactly what to make of that relationship. She's the prissiest dog ever and is really jealous if they get attention/food that she thinks should be HERS. If she's outside she'll eat stuff she doesn't even like just to keep the chickens from having it. She'll sneak into the run when they're out in the yard and scope out anything we've given them and drink their water. But she's also chased away cats and a huge possum that was trying to get into the coop.

My dogs and chickens share treats together often and just simply hang out together all the time. It took a little training but they are such good dogs

my dog ate 3 of my chickens
big_smile.png

My dog is great with my chickens. She likes to lay out in the shade of our shed with them and chew on her bone. The chickens will come up and peck at the end she isn't chewing on. Its adorable. She is very responsive to the leave it command and only had to be told twice over a few days when she got a little excited over the girls. Now she sits and whines if the girls are out in their yard and shes in the back yard.

My biggest prob with my Candii dog is she don't understand the chickens and cats and rats don't want to play tug a war with her rope she will run around and throw the rope at them and if they peck at it or smell it she grabs it and tries to play tug a war then looks sad when the other animals look at her like she's a fool.

This is our dog Ellie. She is a German Shepard/Golden Retriever mix. She "adopted" our second batch chicks last July. She would allow them to ride around on her back like Gloria our Buff Orp is doing or if she was laying down she would have a couple of them on her. She is very protective when it comes to "her babies". We can ask her where her babies are and she runs outside looking for them. Ellie is always neat them and she keeps them safe. Since she adopted our 5 babies, we haven't lost one to a predator since!

Back
Top Bottom