are your dogs and chicken friends

I have a Springer Spaniel who believes she is the mom to my chickens. When I get in a new order of day old chicks, she is more excited than me. Will immediately start sniffing them and before long she will have them 'nested' within her fur. I've had to put her in her kennel at times because she won't eat and paces between brooder boxes...worried about her babies. When I move them outside to a run, she goes in the run with them during the day. Has never hurt one and I truly believe keeps other critters away from them. Loves to go 'put the chickens up' at night with me. Has even picked up a couple of 'escapees" for me and been gentle. Not sure why she does this as she is a BIRD dog but it's worked out. My other two dogs don't mess with them ...mostly ignore them but Lilly loves her duties as Chicken Mom. This photo is of Lilly and a new set of babies we got in....she just sets and stares at them. I finally moved her bed over to be next to them.

Our Neo Mastiff was introduced to the chickens while they were still chicks. Our first coop was a tractor in the backyard. She patrolled the space between the chickens and the dog fence, the hens were safe inside their pen. Then we started letting the hens into the yard while the dog was inside, and gradually brought the dog back into the yard while we were there to observe. Now she's mostly uninterested in them but she will act protective IF she's awake. Twice we had hawk attacks that she slept through (that we know of) but just her presence has kept racoons and other animals away. I always check for tracks around the coop when we have an overnight snow and there is never sign of anything inspecting their new coop - which is NOT predator proof as it's make out of straw bales :)

We got a beagle in November that we haven't been able to integrate into the pack. Beagus (real name is Augustus) can't resist catching the hens. A few weeks ago I was taking him for a weekend at my parent's farm, and he was running loose around the driveway. My husband was grumpy and started chewing me out about having him loose while there were some hens out front. I was all "He's FINE! - where is he?" and we turned around to find him flopped over a VERY unhappy Maran, chewing away! She was fine - I'm not sure what he does but it always looks horrible and they seem soggy but unharmed afterwards.

Of course the beagle is great with the goats, and we can't convince the Mastiff they shouldn't be tackled when ever they run.

Our dog let all our chickens out of the coop the other day. I had put some bread slices in the chicken run and apparently the chickens were done with it... so when the dog came by later (after getting out of his yard) he tore through the wire just to get the bread! He couldn't care less for the chickens. I looked out the window and there were all my hens as happy as can be, dispersed all around the garden. The dog was just wandering amongst them! We did get the dog's help though in carefully rounding all the hens up afterward...
smile.png

Quote: with dogs its hard once they get the taste of chicken blood they want it has he ever killed one of your rabbits? it would be the same thing dogs instincts seem to take over they get the taste of that blood and its super hard to break them most ppl dont try or they try and fail its the animals insticnt to hunt they get a rush out of chasing the birds around and then enjoying them as snacks im lucky i have a very well trained pitbull and he guards them for me but as sooon as i got my ladies i introduced him to them the second i walked into the door and have them around him alot so its juss more buddies for him you gotta have him around them alot and watch him really carefully and keep doing it put one in a rabbit cage bring it inside where you have more control over the dog and let him get close and sniff and all that and at first sign of aggresstion get on him back him off and do it again repeating this should help but no garuntees thats what i did with my female pitbull and now she guards them as well

Yeah my mini dachsund really wants to get at my chickens too! She is only allowed out on a leash hooked to the deck as she is deaf and if she took off I could not call her back. So the chickens decided to come up to the back deck tonight to visit, and my dog was asking to go out at the same time of course.nso most of them scattered as I let her out on the leash with me holding it as it is pretty long, and I had to yank her up in the air a little as she charged the slow one.nshe is definitely a hunter. I would never trust her with them, except maybe when they get to be full size she will be intimidated by them. Otherwise she will never be allowed Witth them.

I recently adopted an older mix breed rescue dog. I checked her out with the cats and chickens first briefly, but had no idea she would also be protective of them! She chases large hawks and vultures away. At a farm where I work, she got in between the cattle and chickens. I feel so lucky!

Back
Top Bottom