Are Your Hens Setting On Eggs Yet? 2012 POULT FORECAST

They are a week old already and starting to do their different calls for different things, it's so neat! When i changed out their paper towels for the last time, they got really spooked, made some kind of distress call and then all froze, that was neat to see.

And just when I thought that I was done with hatching for the year. I go over to my neighbor's house to give her some eggs and I stumble across one of my hens that has set up camp in the corner near her barn by her garden. She is setting on 20 eggs. I don't know how long she has been sneaking over there and laying eggs and I don't know how long she has been setting on eggs, so now I am back to my old schedule. I have to check on her AM and PM to await the arrival of more poults. :hit WHY ME !!!!!!!! :barnie

We had some issues with the tom breaking an egg and our chickens thinking it was a nummy treat. So I gathered all the eggs they were sitting on. 19 total. Did quick candling to get bad ones out. Had a few stinkers too. Finally all said and done, I put 5 eggs into the incubator.

Few minutes ago heard some little bird noises and checked to see if it was my button quail in here. It wasn't so I figured I would go look at the incubator... check humidty temp etc. Guess what I saw.....?

One of the turkey eggs has a hole in the side of it and i saw a little beak poking at it. WOOHOOO I am excited... Now I just want the baby to hurry up and get out of its shell so i can see the baby turkey.....

Yup I'm excited... and have fingers crossed and everything.

baby has arrived. made it out of shell and is doing great. Left it in the bator till this morning then put it into the brooder.. I keep showing it where the water is and it's starting to drink. It is also starting to eat the food. making lots of noises. Hubby said it looked like i had a baby buzzard in the brooder. LOL

Well, the `Snow bird' (page 5/post 42) and the two hens hatched out 19 - one communal nest. The RP jenny and 18 poults are settling into new home down the road with some Narris and peacocks (good folks). Held one poult back to keep the two hens focused on something other than breeding `reset'. Today was only the second time the girls have left the nesting area (snuck out two of 4 eggs remaining) to spend time out with the poult (still not too sure of the ground... yet).

Back
Top Bottom