Are Your Muscovys Still Laying Eggs?

1 egg yesterday, 2 today in their stall. We have 5 girls, one is broody and in her own house with her nest.

I would like to get some pretty colors to just have around. Thinking a Silver, Chocolate, Lavender of course boys dont stay here year round freezer camp is on their travel plans. However a few pretty girls who like to sit eggs wouldnt be so bad.

What's an average of eggs for a muscovy duck per year? Do they lay more their first year and then slow down? Do they go broody their first year? How many eggs do they lay before they go broody? Sorry for asking so many questions altogether but I'm trying to be ready for what to expect this coming year as my ducklings will be 6 months old by the begining of February. Also when will the drake start trying to hump the duck? 

I have no idea what the average amount of eggs would be, i have never counted plus i think it varies by bird. My first two ducks started laying at 4mths old. Yes, they go broody their first year, well they can.. i had 4 that did, partly how my flock increased in size. The amount of eggs in the nest will again vary by bird, they lay as many as they want to 'set' and will usually start to kick duds out down the way.

I had a 4.5mth old drake attempt to mate last night to give you an idea... :rolleyes:

I agree.

The female duckling will be 16 week old approximately next week. The male is probably a week younger as he was smaller in size when we bought them and he is just starting to show the difference in size from the female. Well he's got taller and bigger legs and feet (not enormously big as I've read here like tree trunks lol) but they both aren't that chubby that I've seen other people's muscovies in here. Is it due to the fact that they were allowed to graze a lot and probably they didn't get the amount of protein that your ducklings get eating the pelleted food. Is that a problem? Until which age will they continue to grow bigger?

Back
Top Bottom