Identifying Fertilised Duck Eggs???

xKaitlin

In the Brooder
Jul 29, 2023
Northern Ireland
Hello everyone, my duckies are turning 1 year old soon and started laying a month or two ago, they have been building nests so I am going to let them go broody. Although I am having trouble identifying if the eggs are fertilised or not. I have 1 drake and three ducks shown below. My drake (khaki) is tiny compared to the girls (Saxony(mixed) , cayuga and Aylesbury) seen below. I have added a pic of the eggs from today and i would love if i could get some feedback.

1710331858225.jpeg

As well i am getting 1 blue/green egg and 2 larger white ones which makes me think my cayuga is laying white eggs not black?

1710331956724.jpeg
1710331979941.jpeg

1710332061705.jpeg

Picture of them in the only snow Ireland got this year 😢
Thanks for everyone help!!

The Aylesbury and Cayuga eggs look unfertilized imo, but the Saxony egg looks fertilized! Your drake is certainly doing his thing ;)

Also, any chance your ‘Saxony’ girl is actually a Golden Cascade? This one has an orange bill, but if you look them up, many of them have grey bills like your girl.
IMG_4026.jpeg

All of your ducks are so gorgeous, BTW! ☺️

Agree with Kathi, your Saxony mix girl's egg is fertilized. The other two are iffy.

Jacin is also correct, I've had Cayuga, and the dark layer rubs off easy, and by the end of the season the eggs didn't have much for colour. Could just be yours isn't producing that pigment or maybe not a Cayuga but a black duck.

The Aylesbury and Cayuga eggs look unfertilized imo, but the Saxony egg looks fertilized! Your drake is certainly doing his thing ;)

Also, any chance your ‘Saxony’ girl is actually a Golden Cascade? This one has an orange bill, but if you look them up, many of them have grey bills like your girl.
View attachment 3770733

All of your ducks are so gorgeous, BTW!
I have never heard of them before but they look pretty similar, she came from someone who breed mixed ducks alltogether with Saxony, buff orpington, khaki, welsh harlequins so she is a mystery to me because she lays bluegreen eggs!
Unfortunately i think you are right that she is the only fertilised one :(
I was hoping for cayuga babies this summer but maybe soon!

Agree with Kathi, your Saxony mix girl's egg is fertilized. The other two are iffy.

Jacin is also correct, I've had Cayuga, and the dark layer rubs off easy, and by the end of the season the eggs didn't have much for colour. Could just be yours isn't producing that pigment or maybe not a Cayuga but a black duck.
It is strange because she is a purebred cayuga and this is her first month of layer ever, so i thought i would be getting charcoal or at least grey eggs :confused:

So I know that only one of your ducks eggs is fertilized, but if that one goes broody and you take it out and your drake only has those two hens… you will probably be getting more fertilized eggs soon. Best of luck.😁

Back
Top Bottom