Are your parents actually right when they make you learn music? :)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by magicpigeon, Jan 2, 2011.

1. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Sorry, I've always wanted to know. I was forced from the age of 6 to learn the piano and still am today by my parents! [​IMG] I can't even begin to say how many times I tried to quit, failed my exams on purpose, and didn't practice. It was so boring and I loathed every minute. Years on, I still hate it. So is it really true that it's best for children to learn an instrument, even though they hate every second of it? Any first hand experience?

LOL thanks one of Life's Greatest Questions [​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Yes they are right. My parents allowed me to quit and I cannot tell you how many times I have admired people who can play ANY instrument. Especially piano. I am pushing 50 years old and I REALLY wish I could impress people with those skills now.

3. maple

maple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    First of all...parents are "always right." [​IMG]

Ok, at least most have good intentions. Learing an instrument surely has it's benefits and though you don't see any now...perhaps in the future some day you will and will be appreciative.

My dad always signed us kids up for sports. He signed me up for basketball I don't know how many times in my life and I'm short. He signed me up for soccer and I hated it but then some where along the line I loved it and became very good at it and went on to Club soccer and continued an indoor league after I was through with highschool.

So all I'm sayin is...I didn't like everything I was signed up for. I survived. And I did end up liking one thing I was signed up for and met lots of friends because of it and stayed out of trouble.

So there...there's your two cents from me. Now go ponder it while tootin your flute or hittin some keys or what ever it is you do.

Maybe there's another instrument you would like to play better? My neice plays the sax...she loves it.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Nope..i dont think they are right at all.

5. maple

maple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    you're just onery. [​IMG] [​IMG]

ack..i don't know how to spell it.

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Hee hee.. you know me too well.
    But honestly..i dont think its right to force a child to do something they REALLY hate year after year.... bad idea...

7. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

One of the things we know now about a young person's brain development is that training the brain's pathways when learning to play music expands your ability to learn and comprehend other subjects, most notably math and science.

I would have given ANYTHING if my parents could have afforded for me to have music lessons of any kind. I wanted to play the clarinet when I was a kid. To this day, I love the sound of clarinet music, whether it is jazz, classical, whatever. I was never very good at reading music, though I think if I had had formal musical training, I would have picked it up pretty easily.

I am sorry you are hating your music lessons. It seems you are a very smart young person, as you are obviously articulate. Not everyone that takes music lessons loves the music or the process. Have you considered taking something other than what you are taking? Is there something else you would be MORE interested in, perhaps something your parents would be equally enthusiastic about? Perhaps try sitting down and speaking with them, rather than going on strike regarding chores, homework, etc. Most parents are more reasonable than their kids give them credit for. If you approach Mom & Dad maturely and clearly with a plan in mind and an alternate activity, perhaps they would be willing to listen. You're obviously intelligent, so do a little research on an extracurricular, educational activity you would enjoy in place of the music lessons. Look into what it would cost, show them how it would benefit them (perhaps you would rather take karate or gymastics, and perhaps it's $100 a year cheaper than the music lessons, or something to that effect). Parents like numbers. They like plans. They like their kids to think something through, and more often than not, they'll listen.

I wish you all the best of luck. Hang in there, and I'm sure it'll get better.

8. PaulaSB12

PaulaSB12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    I tried to learn how to play the violin when I was six. It was so bad our collie Lassie (named by my sister not me) took the bow out of my hand!

[​IMG]

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Never could follow music, never wanted to play the piano my parents bought and put in my room, didn't want to join band despite them wanting me to learn music. I think I'm just fine without it and don't miss it one bit. That said, I kept myself much busier doing things I wanted to do when I was little so I never had the time to do it anyways. Of course, it is up to your parents to decide what is right for you. Don't worry, one day you'll have that chance to decide for your kids too.

Think of it this way, with the music, you can still learn it without much harm to it. Makes your parents happy. I have a friend who did gymnastics. She is 25 now and has terrible knee and joint problems because of the landings and jumps she did between the ages of about 5-15. Could be worse. Could be a lot worse. You have enough to afford music lessons. There are tons of people who were never fortunate enough to be able to afford music lessons.

10. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I, too, was forced to take piano as a youngster. I totally stank but did as I was told. Mom eventually figured she was wasting money, thanks to the honesty of my teacher, and I was allowed to take horseback riding lessons. Lesson I learned: You gotta put up with the bad to earn the good. And as I continued to live I learned to muck through rough times to get to the good times.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by