Aren’t sapphire gem roos barred ?

If it starts looking like this.... start worrying
View attachment 3777366
Is that a sg rooster ? It looks so disproportionate 😂 do you have sgs? I believe we talked in one of my other threads about how one of my sgs was small. Well I’m happy to report she’s strong but looks funny ash. She has a normal sized head and a small body and half the tail as everyone else 😂

Attachments

• IMG_7544.jpeg
    IMG_7544.jpeg
    303.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7543.jpeg
    IMG_7543.jpeg
    568 KB · Views: 11
That's a blue barred leghorn rooster. It shows "ghost" barring and pointed saddle feathers.

Both hens and roosters have saddle feathers. The big differences are that (mature) rooster saddle feathers are pointed and usually longer and skinnier than hen saddle feathers. They are also usually shinier too, but not always.

Your chick has rounded tips on the saddle feathers, which is consistent with a pullet. The chick in question does seem to have more distinct "lacing" (the darker feather edge) than the other blue chicks which might make them appear longer or narrower.

That's a blue barred leghorn rooster. It shows "ghost" barring and pointed saddle feathers.

Both hens and roosters have saddle feathers. The big differences are that (mature) rooster saddle feathers are pointed and usually longer and skinnier than hen saddle feathers. They are also usually shinier too, but not always.

Your chick has rounded tips on the saddle feathers, which is consistent with a pullet. The chick in question does seem to have more distinct "lacing" (the darker feather edge) than the other blue chicks which might make them appear longer or narrower.
So what you’re saying is that it might appear more narrow because of the darker tips ? You are talking about the first pullet listed and not the 2nd or last one. I have three sapphire gems. I’ll tack on pictures (small fry is in bottom left hand corner of 2nd pic)

Attachments

• 7200ABB2-8375-40F2-85F2-9212975215DA.jpeg
    7200ABB2-8375-40F2-85F2-9212975215DA.jpeg
    746.2 KB · Views: 10
  • C699574A-B493-4BBC-BAC0-0F8E9917E801.jpeg
    C699574A-B493-4BBC-BAC0-0F8E9917E801.jpeg
    577.8 KB · Views: 7
  • BDE98C27-9356-4F26-9BA8-F5CE70D30057.jpeg
    BDE98C27-9356-4F26-9BA8-F5CE70D30057.jpeg
    842.1 KB · Views: 7
So what you’re saying is that it might appear more narrow because of the darker tips ? You are talking about the first pullet listed and not the 2nd or last one. I have three sapphire gems. I’ll tack on pictures (small fry is in bottom left hand corner of 2nd pic)
It can. Kind of like contouring with makeup. I know I've been fooled by lacing on my silver laced wyandotte before.

It can. Kind of like contouring with makeup. I know I've been fooled by lacing on my silver laced wyandotte before.
Wyandottes are so hard sometimes! I know that I had another post just for them. At one point people were firmly telling me I had a cockerel(on someone else’s thread ) then I posted my own a couple weeks later and have confirmed that my girly is a pullet. I was tripping out thinking all my chicks were possibly Roos 😂 I’m glad I know I’ve just been overthinking now.

I know sapphire gems are like mutts right ? The verbiage of the question was incorrect. I meant like do some of them just have skinnier feathers back there😂

All three of my sapphire gems are different shades of grey and have differences in their feather shape, so I’ve been like side eyeing them. I’ve heard of ghost barring too, so I was like maybe one is a cockerel ? But if they are all pullets great . I heard they were good layers.
All male Sapphire gems are all very light gray, but that shade of gray indicates a female. They are auto-sexed meaning that you can tell the gender by the color of their feathers from the day they hatch.
Take Ledo for instance. Since he was super light gray as a baby, he will grow up to be a roo.
1711042273541.png

And this is him now!
1711042330549.png

And this is Opal, she was super dark gray when she was a chick.
1711042437975.png

And this is her later (about 1 month old)
1711042530672.png

Current day, she has a big floppy comb just like her mama.

I hope this clears things up!

Back
Top Bottom