Aren't chickens funny little things with odd quirks?

kevinhannan

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 3, 2011
It's happened for a while now, but I only really noticed just now...

some of my hens get their food, lay it at my feet and then eat it!

I must be some sort of Demi-God!!!
lau.gif

I'd love to hear of some bizarre/eccentric hen-stuff you'd care to share!

Quote:
You are supposed to grab the food and RUN! Make dinner exciting! My rooster will grab the tiniest spec of food the hens have been ignoring, and once he drops it the girls rush over and fight over the tiny morsel they were previously ignoring.

@theoldchick
I (used to) use tennis balls suspended from the coop ceiling -
the balls had 4mm holes in them all over and were filled with
mealworms. As the worms came out, the girls would peck like
crazy making the ball go all over the place and the girls would
go mad chasing it. Fun for all!

I'll do it again next year after I start a mealworm factory.

Quote:
I strung twine through our apples not fit for human consumption and hung them from the ceiling of the run; as one apple was consumed, the next one would drop down. I am amazed it kept them entertained as long as it did; a real treat to watch them bob around the swinging apples.
107243_img_0505.jpg

Quirks. They sure do have them, all right! I have a two-year old EE, Flo, who needs to wear pinless peepers because she has a fixation on shaving the others of their feathers. She doesn't see well straight ahead, and finds navigating the plastic door flaps on the pop holes to the coop a problem. She has solved it by waiting to lay her egg until I happen to come into the pen. She stands by the pop hole and, looking up straight into my eyes, asks me to lift the flaps so she can enter. It's a very unique "caw, caw, caw!" I lift the flaps and she goes right in and lays her egg a few minutes later.

She has trained me to lift the flaps in the evening at roosting time, and when I call "Flo!", she comes right over and enters the coop ahead of all the rest.

Prudy, buff Silkie, pecks my shoes when she is ready to roost so that I will help her up to her spot.
Poor thing can't fly up, but, has learned to get me to help her. Cinimon, my partridge Silkie rooster sits on the pop door till I pick him up and take him to his roost spot next to Prudy.

lol @ Sulco, BooBear and Azygous!
What a sight that must be! Thanks for the pic!
I've loved all my pets throughout my life; but my chickens are a breed apart - literally!
It's great to hear of these stories - it almost makes me feel quite normal!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom