Arent chickens supposed to lay in the am?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by aliciaford, Aug 6, 2008.

1. aliciaford

aliciaford Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2008
    I have 32 laying hens, all between 19-21 weeks. I got my first egg last saturday, about 4pm. [​IMG] I have gotten several eggs this week, never anything in the morning, always after 2pm or so. I even got one the other night about 7pm. I always thought that chickens layed at like 6 am or something. Ok, no laughing, I'm a newbie...[​IMG]

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Mine lay all day - all the way till bed time.

If you have a specific hen that you can tell her eggs from the others, you'll notice a slow movement through the days.
    Example, monday she'll lay early morning, Tuesday an hour or so later and so on until its a late night lay - then she misses the next day and starts back to early morning laying!

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Nope, my girls lay anytime of the day!

4. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Our ladies lay between 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. They all have their own schedules.

If your ladies are just starting to lay, it will take them a while to get into a routine.

5. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Most of the year my birds lay whenever they want. I had an old gal that passed this summer that laid at daybreak. As soon as it was light enough to move from the perch to a her nest, she was move. Once finished she would go back to the perch to finish sleeping. I only caught 'Old Hefty' on the nest a couple times. Most mornings I would just find a fresh, really warm, jumbo size egg when I opened the houses in the mornings. As she got older the eggs only came every 2-3 days.

During the summer, my birds lay in the mornings. If one lays during the day after it starts getting hot I may find the egg anywhere. That includes their mud holes I make for them to stand in to cool off.

Matt

6. illinichick

illinichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    SE Il
    Mine all lay around noon, being finished by 3pm. Once in awhile I'll have one in morning.

7. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    I have some welsummers that lay late afternoon...all the others lay morning to early afternoon.

8. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Maybe this is just a teenage phase. hard for teens to do ANYthing in the morning . . .

9. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    One person here had a chicken that laid an egg every 25 hours. Sometimes the hen "sleep laid" from her roost.

10. chickenlickin8

chickenlickin8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    Mine lay anytime before daylight (they feel their way to the nest box) until before dark....I thought hens always laid before noon until I started raising them. As long as they produce...I'm happy [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by