Aren't chickens supposed to LIKE worms?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by fopzuu, Jun 15, 2008.

1. fopzuu

fopzuu Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2007
    Maryland
    My chickens don't eat worms! I can't believe it. We will even bring worms right over to them and- nope...they're not interested. Anyone else have worm hatin' chickens?[​IMG]

2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    If you are talking night crawlers or fishing worms, then yes most of my birds won't touch them. There are a few that will follow me around in the garden eating every worm that is dug up. That was when the ground wasn't so dry.

Matt

3. fopzuu

fopzuu Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2007
    Maryland
    I dunno..I guess I'm just thinking about plan ol' earthworms...We had different hens last summer who followed us all day while we were digging a ditch and ate a ton of worms. It was hilarious watching them feast! But the chickens we have now just don't have a taste for worms. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  4. HenniePennie

HenniePennie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2007
    Oregon
    My girls eat slugs and boy do we have an abundance of them. My brothers chickens would not eat slugs. My girls also eat worms. I think it is just a matter of the individual taste as to what chickens eat and what they will not eat. My girls go nuts over melon seeds and the melon too.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  5. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    My buff orpingtons don't like worms either. One of my wife's friends is planning on starting a worm farm to help feed his chickens. I hope his chickens like worms [​IMG]

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I think a lot of the things chickens eat, they learn to eat. We've seen many young chickens learning to eat worms. They're attracted to the movement by instinct, try to eat it, but seem startled at the feel of it and drop it. Eventually, after a few tries, they do get it down. Usually, if you have at least one eating a new food, it makes the others want to eat it. The chicks we raised last year went through this and now I've seen them out in the rain, hunting worms coming up out of their flooded burrows.

Eating a new food, like a fruit or vegetable, in front of a parrot is a time tested way to teach them to eat it. As for chickens and worms, well, they had to figure that out by themselves! [​IMG]

7. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    My hens didn't seem to like them AT FIRST...but as soon as they got their first taste OH MY they were fighting over them...it was SOO funny watching them have a tug of war over that worm. Playing keep away. They love the thin worms i get right out of the ground...not the big fat ones.

8. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    Quote:That's wierd. My buff orpingtons love worms and with all this rain we have been having they have been finding tons of them and chasing each other around arguing over them.

9. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    I didn't know some chickens won't eat worms. My DH just brought me two baby chicks from the store, and after reading this thread I got some worms out of my bin (very tiny ones) and gave them to my new babies, they ate them! phewwww!! [​IMG]

10. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Ours don't like them much but will usually eat them after slinging them around a bunch.

However....they will take your hand off for mealworms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by