Arg! Any suggestions on teeling Delaware/Leghorns apart?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by littlefarm_bighappy, Apr 19, 2009.

1. littlefarm_bighappy

littlefarm_bighappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    So, I ordered 5 white leghorns and 3 delawares. Got them today and cannot for the life of me see any difference- feet, combs, color, skin/eye color... is there anyone here familiar with chicks of these breeds and knows someting Ii can look for to tell them apart? I split this chick order but it looks like I'll have to wit till they fether in before I can distriute them....

2. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    if you each take 4 chicks, you each will be guaranteed at least 1 leghorn..

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Delawares will have red earlobes; leghorns white--but I'm not sure when that difference will be noticible. The chicks on feathersite look silghtly different colours for these two breeds, but there aren;t enough of either to know if that is real or just two photos.

4. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    You will probably be able to tell within a week. The delawares will have some dark color on their wings within that time. They also sometimes have dark color on their heads.

Here are mine at about 3-4 days old and you can already see the dark color on their wings.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by