ARG! I can't take the mud any more!!

I also got alot of rain, and when I went into the run my rubber boots got stuck...my chickens were out and all you could see were there shanks, and no feet.

What I did at night when they went to roost, I saturated the run with STALL DRY...heavy in the areas that were puddled....my run is sand.....I did this the first night, and it was drier the next day, still mushy somewhat...they do have corner roost to get on, always have since I made the run...of branches different sizes.....

Then I did it again a 2nd night, and my run is dry...we have had no sun, as we have been getting alot of rain and then sprinkle days.

Having had to deal with the mud here in Texas too, i agree with the others who suggested just putting something down - like pallets or milk crates or whatever, so that your chickens can stay out of the mud. And then if weather permits, i would start work on the moat idea. I think that will give you the best success. Then you can consider if you want to put some other surface (sand, gravel, whatever) in your run.

just my thoughts....

Back
Top Bottom