Argh! Can't let them out, can't leave them in!

Uzuri

Songster
10 Years
Mar 25, 2009
I'm in a bit of a quandary. It's snowed like anything, the roads are a mess, but the schools aren't calling off -- this means that every poor driver and teenager will be driving on them, making them 10 times more dangerous -- and I need to be at work at 8:30. The chickens probably shouldn't be let out until sunrise, 7:52. 40 minutes isn't enough to get to work on bad roads. Yesterday they were stuck in for the same reason and Rooster was taking serious advantage of the situation and hurt someone (likely by accident, he's a klutz, but still).

Yipes! Anyone here hate this time of year? :p All I need is an extra 10 minutes of daylight!

I don't get to my girls until I get back from taking the kids to school...so after 9am.If we are home all day I can get to them before 8am as so as the sun is up. I too hate not being able to tend to them until later.Some days I have errands to run and get to them even later.No rooster here,but the frozen water needs to be removed 2 times a day.Time to shovel the drive before we leave!

Some days I will call in to let them know we will be late to school,and I wait for the roads to be cleaned/cleared up of snow and traffic.I can only do that so many times though before we get in trouble.

My girls don't seem to mind the snow. It's been -25C here with the wind chill for the last 4 days and I let them out just the same. They either huddle together under the coop or they just stay inside. I leave their door open so they can go in and out. I give them hot water in the am before I go to work and then refill it with hot water when I get home. I also make them some hot oatmeal so their tummies are warm. I am still getting 3-5 eggs a day from 5 hens! Hope this helps.

If the wind is blowing too hard and the chill is too low, I put them in the small coop. Granted, there's not alot of room, but I would rather keep the door shut, since I know they won't be out eating and drinking when it's that bad. The little birds do what they want since the door can't close all the way. No matter how cold and windy it is, some of them stay out. Little snots.
hu.gif

Quote:
See, I've seen these, and they don't hit me as being strong enough to keep the predators out so I don't see much point to them.

Just open the door before sunrise. I normally open my pop doors to the run every morning at 5:45. Recently, I have kept them inside because of the subzero temps and snow.

I hear you. I'm retired now but I used to leave in the dark and get home in the dark. I think every office needs a full-spectrum light at every desk and that every livestock owner needs a hired hand. But it didn't happen for me!
cool.png

Quote:
Amen on both.

Hmm... I bet I could talk the boss into getting me a full-spectrum bulb. I doubt she'd open the chicken house for me, though
wink.png

We've been subzero at night, and will be there with our day temps later this week and weekend. We have our hens overnighting now in a pen we've enclosed with dog kennel panels inside our metal barn--deep pine and straw bedding and two old wooden saw horse roosts. Even though enclosed from wind, the temps are bitter, but the hens are weathering just fine--no frostbite apparent, and full of vigor when I go out seven-ish to rouse them up. No wonder since I come with hot oatmeal-veggie leftover mix for breakfast! At that time in the am, we open their popdoor to the underside of their coop and access to their outside run--they come and go, inside or out, as they please until we shut them up inside again around 4:30 or five pm. I also leave their raised coop south door open outside since they still like to go up inside, spend some time, perhaps lay an egg or two in their next boxes there. I always toss some BOSS and scratch on the ground outside near their coop so they are encouraged to get some sunshine and fresh air on even the coldest days, as long as it's not raining/snowing/sleeting. ~G

Back
Top Bottom