ARGH how do I make him be nice!?

sparkles2307

Terd of Hurtles
11 Years
Oct 23, 2008
Northwestern Minnesota
Sax just WONT be nice to the ducklings no matter how much time in the "acclimating pen" we give them! We leave the 4 week old ducklings in the pen all day, he sits right by it, not attacking, just nicely sitting, chatting and such. We do this for like, 5 days, they all seem ok. We let them out and he is really nice until we walk away then he attacks! As soon as we come back he lets go and backs away all nice again... He's looking like a nummy dinner if he dont get the corncob outa you-know-where pretty soon!

I took my drake that did not like the younger ducks and his loud girlfriend and sold them for $20. Took care of 2 problems at once
big_smile.png

Sax is my ONLY drake right now tho, and he's my only Saxony...
sad.png
I think ONE of the newbies is a drake, but that is not the one that SAX attacks. He goes after the two Rouens that are really loud (girls I assume or weird boys) but Meade is a Rouen so you'd think he'd be nice to someone so similar to his GF.....

I know what your saying...For weeks the new ducks were in the cage inside a smaller cage so everyone could get use to each other..The minute I let them out my drake would attack them,,, the ones he was attacking were the girls...Didnt mess with the boys..He was trying to breed with my 8 week olds...Sorry but he had to go...It was rehome 1 or 6 ..He is doing good now lives with a friend up the street who only had 1 duck,,,

I am in same boat, I believe I have a Drake Peking and goes after my 3 girl WH. I am hoping it will improve when they get older. It will be kindof hard to get rid of him because kids named and enjoy him. I will just see how it goes.

Yeah, birds are so dumb and smart at the same time, our Pekin drake only attacks things that walk on four legs like my cat or the neighbours dog or a fox......weird.

But Thank God I have only the two or I would be in BIG trouble!
lol.png

how old are the younger ones?, if they're fully feathered, and already quacking, then yes, he will go at them, he's thinking he's got new MATURE girls, so you can expect this until they're mature,I would not put the ducklings with the adults until they're atleast 10 or more weeks, that way they've got some size on them.

ETA: I hadn't seen where you said 4 weeks, at this age they should be fully feathered, or close to, fully feathered at 6 weeks, but like I said, do they have their adult voices now, or are they still getting them??

he most likely thinks he's got new girls, if he catches them and trys to mate them, he can kill them with his persistance.

Back
Top Bottom