ARGH!!!!!! Overflowing waterers

I tried the nipple waterer but I still use my gallon waterer because the hens don't seem to want to use the nipples when the gallon waterer is out of water. I still have the nipple waterer available.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I think I will try this and lower an aquarium heater into it. I'll let you guys know how it works in the coldest part of the winter.

this is what we do. and only make one hole where the cord comes out.

I just made the same one I touched the nipples and they were pretty interested in what I was doing, within 5 minutes they were using it. I will never go back to the old waterer this keeps the water super clean and lasts my girls close to 2 weeks.

Also if you don't want to hang your 5 gallon bucket waterer, you could do one of these types. I personally like the first one pictured which has a horizontal nipple that goes directly into the bucket (see the orange nipple in the bottom right side of the "Wind Fresh" bucket). Mine has a submersible aquarium heater and submersible fountain pump to circulate the water. Both are plugged into a thermocube that turns on the electric when the temp drops below 35.

This also would work with a pvc pipe coming out of the bucket for a downward nipple. I made a drip catcher in the first picture.

Last edited:
How long ago did you give them the nipple waterer? Maybe it just takes time?

I put the nipples in the run about 4 months ago. Maybe I should remove the gallon waterer as Bear Foot suggested.

Last edited:
A bit of an update just in case anyone is having as much trouble as me trying to keep the water from freezing or overflowing.
I tried putting my top-fill waterer inside a Fortex pan to prevent overflow, but it didn't work. The pan filled right up and overflowed anyway. Talk about frustrating! This is a non-vacuum waterer that appeared to work just fine for a few months, but apparently they fail after a while. I really like the top-fill capability, but I guess it was just not meant to be.
It got very cold here very fast, and my chickens never did figure out how to use the nipples on the bucket waterer I pictured earlier. I think it has a lot to do with them being used to having their waterer outside, but I can't put it out there in the winter even with an aquarium heater because the nipples will freeze up in minutes. I'll go back to trying it again in the spring because it's so easy, and it hangs, freeing up valuable floor space.
Meanwhile, I went out and purchased a base heater and a double sided galvanized metal waterer that seems to be working just fine so far.

I put it inside the coop yesterday and despite it being in the teens overnight, the water is still liquid. So far, so good! If it starts to overflow I am Going. To. Lose. It.
The waterer and heater setup were $80. The next person who tells me that I am lucky to have free eggs is going to get a poke in the eye. *poink*

Back
Top Bottom